Kung Fu and the Art of Wood Splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet another installment from the moron brigade.
I think woodcutter is trying to set some sort of record for the most frequent pointless threads. What is this like 18-20 in 5 days?
So when are you gonna leave???

Please no! This guy is a hoot! He's really started some threads that have turned quite interesting. :D He's quite livened up the place without being nasty. :rock:

The way of the hand and foot” is an Americanism… an unsuccessful attempt to translate the Korean taekwondo.
The Korean “tae” means “to strike (or break) with foot”… “kwon” means “to strike (or break) with fist”… and “do” translates to “method”, or “path”, and only loosely into “way”.

There isn’t any way to translate the Korean taekwondo into English… the English mentality of vocabulary cannot grasp the concept. Hence you get the Korean taekwondo written in English as “tae kwon do”, tae kwon-do”, “taekwon-do”, etc.

There’s a reason why taekwondo has achieved world-wide popularity in the last 50 years or so… because it ain’t an ancient, mystic art, it’s a 20th century invention. Beginning in the 15th century the Korean leaders moved away from mysticism, with some leaders even outlawing the practice of ancient martial arts. By the 1800’s only rudimentary elements of the ancient arts were even known, let alone practiced, and the Japanese occupation during the early 20th century completely banned any remaining practice by civilians. After the Japs left in 1945 a few martial arts schools popped up, but the ancient Korean “way” was all but lost… they taught using a few principles from the ancient “teakkyon” and “subak”, blended with such things as karate and elements from surrounding nations. Nine separate main versions took hold, and because of orders by S. Korean President Rhee, they merged in the mid 1950’s. By around 1960 taekwondo became what it is today… a modern amalgamation of various borrowed techniques.

Masters of true ancient, mystic martial arts regard taekwondo for what it really is… a non-pure, modern technique... more of a sport than a "way".

Just sayin'.

The way of the hand and foot” is an Americanism… an unsuccessful attempt to translate the Korean taekwondo.
The Korean “tae” means “to strike (or break) with foot”… “kwon” means “to strike (or break) with fist”… and “do” translates to “method”, or “path”, and only loosely into “way”.

There isn’t any way to translate the Korean taekwondo into English… the English mentality of vocabulary cannot grasp the concept. Hence you get the Korean taekwondo written in English as “tae kwon do”, tae kwon-do”, “taekwon-do”, etc.

There’s a reason why taekwondo has achieved world-wide popularity in the last 50 years or so… because it ain’t an ancient, mystic art, it’s a 20th century invention. Beginning in the 15th century the Korean leaders moved away from mysticism, with some leaders even outlawing the practice of ancient martial arts. By the 1800’s only rudimentary elements of the ancient arts were even known, let alone practiced, and the Japanese occupation during the early 20th century completely banned any remaining practice by civilians. After the Japs left in 1945 a few martial arts schools popped up, but the ancient Korean “way” was all but lost… they taught using a few principles from the ancient “teakkyon” and “subak”, blended with such things as karate and elements from surrounding nations. Nine separate main versions took hold, and because of orders by S. Korean President Rhee, they merged in the mid 1950’s. By around 1960 taekwondo became what it is today… a modern amalgamation of various borrowed techniques.

Masters of true ancient, mystic martial arts regard taekwondo for what it really is… a non-pure, modern technique... more of a sport than a "way".

Just sayin'.

If I were to study anything... and I like this practical, non mystic line of thinking, I'd be signing myself up for a Krav Maga class.

I do like my Budweiser... and I drink barrels and barrels of it. If'n ya' wanna' see mean, just try takin' my beer and whiskey... other than that it takes a lot to get my pitch flowin'.
I've got you pegged as a Corona Extra with lime type of guy... when you're not drinking wine coolers. Or maybe some expensive import that supports your lofty view of yourself. Either way...

Hey, hey, hey. Easy on the imports. Drinking my first Belgian quad (Rochefort 10) was one of the few true enlightening experiences of my life. Including a few years in college

However, the beer revolution has already begun, and the epicenter of it is right here in the states.

And it was not televised.

Ahhh yes… Krav Maga, a true hand-to-hand combat technique, with absolutely no pretentions of being a sport. Effective, efficient, aggressive, incomparably brutal and vicious… actually developed from street fighting techniques. The principle is simple… end the fight now, at any cost to the opponent… any cost including death.

Ahhh yes… Krav Maga, a true hand-to-hand combat technique, with absolutely no pretentions of being a sport. Effective, efficient, aggressive, incomparably brutal and vicious… actually developed from street fighting techniques. The principle is simple… end the fight now, at any cost to the opponent… any cost including death.

I called the sheriff. That's too far. You're done. I have a family and I'm pressing charges. I'm ready to protect myself. That is a direct threat I am Serious now.

This is not a joke.

:tongue2: You're gonna' press charges on an "alien", a creature from outer space? :dizzy: The sheriff is really gonna' love that one... :msp_w00t:

You are done. Not an alien but whoever is responsible. You are going to be arrested again. I have little ones at home and the threats are over.

so this is what happens when one does not log in for a few weeks

The Principal from Billy Madison said it best.......

Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A little Art in the wood pile

Treepileofwood.jpg

If I were to study anything... and I like this practical, non mystic line of thinking, I'd be signing myself up for a Krav Maga class.
I learn something here everyday, sometimes not at all firewood/ chainsaw related.
I had no idea that Israel had its own martial art/ self defense technique. When I think of Israeli self defense the first thing that springs to mind is my Jericho 941 built by Israel Military Industries.
Makes sense that they would have their own program to study I just never thought about it.

I learn something here everyday, sometimes not at all firewood/ chainsaw related.
I had no idea that Israel had its own martial art/ self defense technique. When I think of Israeli self defense the first thing that springs to mind is my Jericho 941 built by Israel Military Industries.
Makes sense that they would have their own program to study I just never thought about it.

They are some of the best. And they have some great special forces. Krav Maga is a street level art that is quite accessable. They do large conventions and stuff. Google "RedMan Suit." That's what we use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back