ladders are a no-no

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I learned to footlock, I use the ladders a lot less... but I still keep at least 4 on the truck.. 20-24, 28 & 36 usually... footlocking is often just quicker and easier than getting a ladder off and back, and set up...
Still will use a ladder to save energy... Sometimes I'll set a line and be on belay from the first rung on... sometimes not... just set a line from the top of the ladder..

Don't recall having made a cut from the ladder without being ties in, but will very occasionally just throw the lanyard on and make a quick cut and walk down.. nothing too big though

:cheers:

Nice to see some common sense discussion of the dangers of ladders (and I know they are very real!), without the mindless mantra of "NEVER USE LADDERS!"

:clap:

Yep. I got reamed for using one to get a foot off the ground to cut one branch. All the guy screaming at me all had ladders on their trucks and would have used one in the same situation.

Harry K

Gwiley is right.

I'm sorry to hear about this accident but it has little or nothing to do with using a ladder. Ladders are very useful tools and can be used safely if used correctly.

+1. I use them a lot for arborist work. There are a few common-sense methods to stabilize them and a few other common-sense ways to stabilize yourself while cutting from them. And there are situations where you should not use a ladder for cutting, period.

Ladders shouldn't be demonized -- stupidity should. :cheers:

+1. I use them a lot for arborist work. There are a few common-sense methods to stabilize them and a few other common-sense ways to stabilize yourself while cutting from them. And there are situations where you should not use a ladder for cutting, period.

Ladders shouldn't be demonized -- stupidity should. :cheers:

My favorite is when the customer says, "Just do the high-up branches, I have a chainsaw and I can get the rest on a ladder."

Well of course you do, and of course you can. Enjoy! :)

For tree entry, ladders really shine. We had a large ice storm out this way a few years back. After the hazards were mitigated there was a lot of work cleaning out hangers on rural properties. We have an abundance of short, stubby blackjack Oak out this way. I'd say they mostly grow to an average of 40'. On these rural properties and ranches there would be hundreds of them to clean up. We would divide up into climbing teams and take care of them. these were mostly in pastures and during the rainy season here so you couldn't get equipment in there. The ladders were indispensable for tree entry in that situation. Saved so much time When you are climbing 30-40 trees a day, it would be impossible to do that kind of production if you had to ascend every tree on a rope.

The most danger from a ladder is when it's poorly tied to a roofer's truck and comes off in the middle of the freeway.

Do you know that's why roofers never put their name on their ladders!

Back