Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, ready to drill into the muffler in the next day or two. I am sorry for asking, i did re read the post, but it is late and I may have missed it. I have the 1 1/2" spacer. How long to you want it to be after the 45 degree cut. I don't have the screen yet, or I could figure it out. I thought I remembered something about 3/4" but was that for the long side or short side measurement? I havent really figured out how I am going to make the cut. Maybe freehand with a cutter wheel on a 4" grinder then even it out on the side of a bench grinder wheel? If I had a longer tube I could cut the angle with a chop saw, but the 1 1/2" piece isn't the best to work with. I am going to guess the wouldn't have to be that exact. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks guys

I make the long side about an inch now. You want 3/8 to 1/2 inch (MIN) on the short side. Push the long side butt right up to the muffler seam. A vice and a fine (32tpi) hacksaw makes easy work of tube. Finish up in a grinding wheel.

One trick to cutting tube is to put a tight wood dowel though it. Then you can clamp easier in a conventional vice.

Last edited:
Thanks to this thread, I went ahead with my muffler mod tonight on my 066BB build.

I went with a single port in the stock location. It's really easy on this muffler because it already has a huge spark screen box for this. All you have to do is carefully grind away.

The other thing I did was spending alot of time carefully port matching at the cylinder head. After finishing the exhaust port I cut out a template with tape and then ground the gasket to match perfectly. Then I transfered this to the muffler opening for a perfect match.

Anyhow, pretty darn easy on this one, just takes a little grinding.

I did some quick and dirty flow restriction check with and without the muffler cover on and it seems the internal baffle system don't create much of any restriction. The big restriction was in the muffler external port size and after this mod, that's much much better. So I chose to keep the internal baffle figuring that it acts as sort of a flow spreader to allow more even flow out the exhaust port and should help keep noise at bay a little too.

I didn't measure precisely, but visually it looks to roughly match the same amount of area that the carb inlet, so I'm happy with it.:greenchainsaw:

stihl06624za7.jpg

Thanks for all the great tips in here..:clap:

100cc B.B. 4 port stroker with a tampered ignition

this baby kicks so bad i had ta swap the oem rubber mounts with pollyurathane so the mounts stoped ripping apart. she runs on 110 cam-2. im keeping the ignition details a secret:chainsaw:
attachment.php
attachment.php

here 2 custom wild things

Last edited:
Here is my first mod a scrench pipe

My 036 with a scrench for a pipe, I cut it at a angle and used the screw driver part as a brace. Now maybe cutting stumps at the dirt it won't get as hot. There is a smaller pipe running into the muffler welded on the inside this one slid over it and welded on the outside. It sure sounds good.

3191704827_8180757731.jpg

My 036 with a scrench for a pipe, I cut it at a angle and used the screw driver part as a brace. Now maybe cutting stumps at the dirt it won't get as hot. There is a smaller pipe running into the muffler welded on the inside this one slid over it and welded on the outside. It sure sounds good.

3191704827_8180757731.jpg
now thats trik!!

If the cover ever sticks to the muffler and you can't get it off, put a wrench on her, lol.

372xp Modded tonight.

Saw: 372xp
After reading the various threads of modded exhausts, I thought I would
spend my snowy evening in the garage.
Precut a few pieces of 3/4" steel pipe (available at lowes) with various angles to see which one would work the best:
muffmod7.jpg

Traced the outlet on the muffler while mounted on the saw:
muffmod8.jpg

Drilled Hole:
CopyofIMG_2434.jpg

I de-burred the outlet:
muffmod12.jpg

Brazed The pipe on(Had to call friend to Hold pipe on while I "tacked it". Prior to brazing, I ran the wire-wheel over the hole to remove black paint.
Copyof372muffmod1.jpg

Lightly sprayed the Exhaust with flat black stove paint and re-assembled. Will get a screen for it next time I make it to local hardware.
muffmod1.jpg

I will adjust carb settings accordingly on my next outing.
Just want to say thanks for the great ideas AS.
This is my version of a "how to" for the 372xp. Hope it isn't too picture intensive!
-Chad

Last edited:
I finally decided to muffler mod my Jonsered 670 SuperII last night. I wanted to document the whole thing... But my dang camera batteries died on me!:censored: :censored:

I'll take a few more pics today, of the finished mod.

670Exhaustmod1-14-09001.jpg

This is the factory outlet, which I TIG'd closed.
670Exhaustmod1-14-09002.jpg

670Exhaustmod1-14-09003.jpg

670Exhaustmod1-14-09004.jpg

670Exhaustmod1-14-09007.jpg

670Exhaustmod1-14-09008.jpg

I cut the muffler with my Dremel and a cutoff wheel. Then I used a single cut bit to radius the ends.

As a side note... This is my buddy Rod's new saw. I had some remnant stainless steel, so he decided to make some custom dogs.

670Exhaustmod1-14-09006.jpg

Nice videos Metals. That saw sounds uber mean! What length bar? 32?
I'll have to get some video of my 372 as soon as the temperatures get above the negatives.

Latest posts

Back