Lakeside53's --361 muffler mod w/photos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is with the regular clutch cover on. The muff mod was never designed to cope with the regular cover but it goes on just fine and doesn't look too bad either. The chain brake touches the pipe but works fine :givebeer:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here it is with the regular clutch cover on. The muff mod was never designed to cope with the regular cover but it goes on just fine and doesn't look too bad either. The chain brake touches the pipe but works fine :givebeer:

attachment.php

attachment.php

So BobL is ther any video of your saw running so we can hear that pipe. If it has been posted before I havent found it. If it hasnt you should make one:greenchainsaw:

muffler mod on small poulan

heres an easy mod on a small poulan saw,,,
1st, drill out the baffle holes, i added an extra one at the bottom,, next, i closed up teh small original slit it the muffler case, it came out the back, and got oil all over teh saw,,then assemble teh screen, and baffle back in the case,,, finally, i cut out the front case, and migged in an outlet pipe,,,
still need to re-assemble the saw, adjust the carb and cut some wood...........

So BobL is ther any video of your saw running so we can hear that pipe. If it has been posted before I havent found it. If it hasnt you should make one:greenchainsaw:

Sorry but my DSLR has no video recording capability and my phone camera is kaput. I will see if BIL can come around with his camera to the milling yard and record the saw. With the 14 mm opening insert it sounds more like a very loud scooter than a chainsaw. I have installed the 15 mm opening but can't run the saw at home or the neighbors will go spare. I have 16, 17 and 18 mm inserts plus of course no insert , or fully open at 19 mm, that I will eventually try out. The reason I have done this is because this is purely a milling saw and I want to stay in tuning range of the main jet without going too lean. This is just a hobby for me so I am in no rush to do this, fortunately I'm fairly patient so this could take me a while to sort out.

BobL Thats alright, just curious as to how it sounds. When ever you get a chance to record some vid lets hear it. I bet it sounds good, different good :)

This is an old thread, but it might be helpful.
I explain the math I used to arrive at my sizes.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=90616
Carl

Thanks Carl but I have no probs working out the relative area increases. What I don't want to do is open the pipe up so much that the saw runs too lean. The inserts allow me to open up the pipe in a controlled way to make sure I stay within the tuning range of the main jet. I don't want to increase the jet size to enable me to run at fully open (ie 19 mm) as this sucker is a milling saw and already uses enough juice as it is.

Inserts

Thanks Carl but I have no probs working out the relative area increases. What I don't want to do is open the pipe up so much that the saw runs too lean. The inserts allow me to open up the pipe in a controlled way to make sure I stay within the tuning range of the main jet. I don't want to increase the jet size to enable me to run at fully open (ie 19 mm) as this sucker is a milling saw and already uses enough juice as it is.

Bob, I went with inserts too.

I found it worked best at 19mm, then I put a stubby 8 degree megaphone on it, just for laughs, and it even worked better. Ton more power.

Carl

Not much has been said about this mod?? I assume it's not as good as Lakeside's??? I would be a lot simpler to do... No screen, but the "slits" wouldn't be that prone to letting in debris. Has no one else done this?

How much louder was it with slits in the side of the muffler? I might go this route on my 361

Thinking about modding my 310 but I can't make myself do it. To concerned that I might screw it up. I'm thinking about using the cover for the arrestor screen for the location of the hole. going to start with a 7/16" hole and see what happens. Any suggestions as to where I should place the hole, or will this work.

Thanks

okay, now that I have some free time (at least until the next page out) here are a few pictures of the muffler on my ms 310 that I want to mod. I'm looking for any suggestions on what size of hole to make and where I should put it. the 2nd pic is with the cover and spark arrestor removed. Thanks in advance.

A side note: directly above the 2 slots is a hole, above the baffle, that goes straight to the block with no obstructions. this is where I am considering the placement of my port. I hope I am not confusing any one in that description.

Last edited:
on mine I connected the two outlet holes in the muffler and made a slot 3/8" wide between them then I cut out the bottom of the deflector so looking at it straight on you cant tell I did anything but if you look from the bottom you can see how its opened up. Made quite a difference in the saw.

I have about 2 tanks through the new 361. Couple more, and Im gonna Lakerize it. Best muffler mod yet in my opinion. It works awesome, and looks classy! Plus, its easy to do. :cheers:

MS 180c

Would there be any reason to do a mod on my MS 180c (if so what is recommended) that I just picked up for $20?. Im rebuilding it for something to do.

Back