Lanyard length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scubadude1188

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm in the process of buying my own gear and I'm going to make my own lanyard and wanted to know what y'all think would be a good length of rope to get for the lanyard.

Good question. I say 30'. Start out with a 12' piece to make your first lanyard. You're going to need 2' to splice with and leave some room in case you make a mistake. I think 10' is a good length for trees in these parts. Then you'll have enough left to splice a second one with that I would make even longer, I find three lanyards to be a good standard. One stays on the belt, one goes up as a secondary in larger trees. And I use a third,(60' if you use this advise) a 30'er to use if I am going to moving around in a difficult canopy. I am not a professional, mind you, just a hobby climber. But I have learned here from these guys.

10 feet

30 feet is a bit much
I woudl go with 8-10, that includes enough to tie your knots at the end of the rope. My rule of thumb is lanyard cant hang below my feet when clipped in to the D that has my knot of it. 30 feet is longer then my ornamental climbing rope..
30 feet if your climbing huge spruces out west. In the northeast if your a strictly takedown climber you may need an occasional 15' steelcore. BUt for just pruning and averae takedowns 10 feet is more then enough for a rope lanyard.

if you leave a long tail and daisy chain it, it can double as a second short climbing line if you use a split tail style hitch with your lanyard. it's a bit bulky but comes in handy. i have a loop that goes to my feet and a tail that goes to my feet again. it is long enough to use as a real short tie in for positioning. it also has some rigging applications if you want to get creative.

Back