Need a descender for rappelling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

conner1129

ArboristSite Lurker
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gonna need a descender because I’m not doing mrs I hate the idea of it it’s just gonna destroy my rope. Thinking just a figure 8 will do if anyone has any other good recommendations that aren’t 100s of dollars I’d like to hear them. maybe a knot that I’m just not using or something. I can use my prusik with a hitch but it’s pretty grabby and I think it’ll run through my prusik chord faster than I want. I know people say don’t rappel on a prusik I just go like a few feet at a time and go slow

A figure 8 with ears.

I was thinking rescue-8, too. I go up using mine as an attachment point for all my speedline slings. If I ever need to, I'll have a heavy duty friction device up in the tree with me. That's always a good idea, if you groundmen aren't quite ready for the big time, or perhaps you are short handed that day.

Of course, I had to demonstrate my landscaping skills when I tried that approach early in my rigging career. I tried lowering too big a chunk of wood on the rescue-8, and it cut through my bull rope like it was butter, crushing a stone wall around the tree.

A figure 8 with ears.
If I have a Prius chord hitch do I need the ears as well?
I was thinking rescue-8, too. I go up using mine as an attachment point for all my speedline slings. If I ever need to, I'll have a heavy duty friction device up in the tree with me. That's always a good idea, if you groundmen aren't quite ready for the big time, or perhaps you are short handed that day.

Of course, I had to demonstrate my landscaping skills when I tried that approach early in my rigging career. I tried lowering too big a chunk of wood on the rescue-8, and it cut through my bull rope like it was butter, crushing a stone wall around the tree.
i don’t think I’ll ever trust a ground guy to not hang a branch and get me killed. If I die and it’s my fault that’s chill if it was someone else god will definitely hear complaints.

Anything that adds friction to your hitch cord will allow you to descend on it SRS smoothly. Friction can be added above or below. Rope wrench does it above. You can put a figure eight above your hitch like a wrench. You can run the tail of your rope through a figure eight attached to your D ring, and hold the tail after the figure eight. This makes the system grab if you let go - better safety. You can do the same with a munter, or just run the tail through a carabiner twice... experiment close to the ground first...

2EA0BA77-6CE4-4CA0-9285-C4081AEBFAE2.jpeg
There’s a few of these I use to kinda make Help with the friction but I feel like they just lockup just causing way more friction than a normal vt the more wraps on the bottom the more pronounced of an elbow you get i jump around in my saddle a bunch before going up

Anything that adds friction to your hitch cord will allow you to descend on it SRS smoothly. Friction can be added above or below. Rope wrench does it above. You can put a figure eight above your hitch like a wrench. You can run the tail of your rope through a figure eight attached to your D ring, and hold the tail after the figure eight. This makes the system grab if you let go - better safety. You can do the same with a munter, or just run the tail through a carabiner twice... experiment close to the ground first...
The bend

Edit- came down on it from like 50 feet probably it didn’t get that hot and controls pretty well just gonna go grab a figure eight still because the descent wasn’t as controllable as I would like when using a figure eight with a hitch is the hitch basically you’re brake? Or your hand still the brake hand or is it both now

Attachments

• F4E2994C-4E3A-4147-A20F-C9A755729284.jpeg
    F4E2994C-4E3A-4147-A20F-C9A755729284.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
The bend

Edit- came down on it from like 50 feet probably it didn’t get that hot and controls pretty well just gonna go grab a figure eight still because the descent wasn’t as controllable as I would like when using a figure eight with a hitch is the hitch basically you’re brake? Or your hand still the brake hand or is it both now

Your hand is the brake for the figure eight and your other hand holds the VT loose so it doesn't grab.

The VT and it's variations will quickly wear out a tress cord when used for repelling and the VT is mostly there in case you pass out, etc. If a climber passes out on a figure eight they are going to come down fast if no one is on the ground on their rope's tail.

Should a climber pass out from loss of blood, etc., a person on the ground can lower them with the tail of the rope. A VT above the figure eight negates this possibility.

Your hand is the brake for the figure eight and your other hand holds the VT loose so it doesn't grab.

The VT and it's variations will quickly wear out a tress cord when used for repelling and the VT is mostly there in case you pass out, etc. If a climber passes out on a figure eight they are going to come down fast if no one is on the ground on their rope's tail.

Should a climber pass out from loss of blood, etc., a person on the ground can lower them with the tail of the rope. A VT above the figure eight negates this possibility.
Yes yes I’m going to get one once my phone isn’t dead might as well get one with ears they aren’t much more

Yes yes I’m going to get one once my phone isn’t dead might as well get one with ears they aren’t much more
yes, should be illegal to sell them without ears due to the possibility that the rope comes over the top of the figure 8 locking it up, near impossible to fix with your weight on it
How quick will a munter eat up your rope
it won't, the rope on rope friction is constantly changing position's, ive lowered chunks of wood in the 3-500 pound range on a munter before, its not safe but can be done
ive rappelled out on a rigging line used to pull spars over before, either using a munter or figure 8, saved me on carrying a climbing line up or spiking down the stem
I never use a friction hitch backup on either one although highly, HIGHLY recommend it, its easy to come down fast enough to burn your hands and instinct is to let go, 100% of the time that ends up with you smacking the ground near terminal velocity
I looked up the petzel but it seems it has slipping issues after a while is that something you experienced as well?
the petzl Zigzag and ZigZag + both have issues with slipping once they wear out, but the rig or I'D haven't had any issues that ive known about

yes, should be illegal to sell them without ears due to the possibility that the rope comes over the top of the figure 8 locking it up, near impossible to fix with your weight on it

it won't, the rope on rope friction is constantly changing position's, ive lowered chunks of wood in the 3-500 pound range on a munter before, its not safe but can be done
ive rappelled out on a rigging line used to pull spars over before, either using a munter or figure 8, saved me on carrying a climbing line up or spiking down the stem
I never use a friction hitch backup on either one although highly, HIGHLY recommend it, its easy to come down fast enough to burn your hands and instinct is to let go, 100% of the time that ends up with you smacking the ground near terminal velocity

the petzl Zigzag and ZigZag + both have issues with slipping once they wear out, but the rig or I'D haven't had any issues that ive known about
Always carry a climbing line up. Always have a quick way out of the tree.

remember that rigging line I rappelled out with? IDK how you thought I was gonna use a munter or figure 8 without a rope, somehow I lived to tell about it after doing it 50 or so times
Ahh, 50 or So.... good odds, until you hit 10,000... don't get cocky kid... I never climbed without a quick lifeline rigged to get me to the ground, one handed. Saved my ass a few times.

Latest posts

Back