Need cylinder recommendation 353

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khaas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just got a 353 with low compression. Did some researching and it seems a 346 cylinder is the way to go. The saw isn't going to get a lot of use so don't need to go OEM unless it's absolutely necessary. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good aftermarket cylinder? I think I'm going to use a pop-up piston with a 346 cylinder unless anyone else has a better idea

Even stock just go with the OEM 44.3 346 cylinder. Worth the few bucks more and still cheap to buy.
Any recommendations to get it ported?
Brief search and it looks like it'll be about 350 which is out of my budget but if somebody could do it for around a hundred I could do that. No idea if that's reasonable though

Any recommendations to get it ported?
Brief search and it looks like it'll be about 350 which is out of my budget but if somebody could do it for around a hundred I could do that. No idea if that's reasonable though
Nobody who knows what they’re doing is gonna port a saw for $100 dollars. Just put a 346 top end on it and call it a day.

If your 353 cylinder can be cleaned up and just run a new piston kit. That is a option. If not having to buy new kit.

Cant tell much difference stock for stock.

Only hacks port for cheaper. Not doing the full work done with base cut, squish cut etc etc. Heck some their porting is just lacking.

Get what you pay for with @huskihl or @Red97 here in this group.

Owned a many NE OE 353 346 and 351 over the years. If you have a CAT muffler like this one. Get a different muffler or gut it.

h353e.jpg

If your going to buy a ported cylinder you will need to wait a bit. Most of the builders that have the mandrel are likely busy for six months by now. I'm considering building a 346 for myself. If your are truly interested in going that route a new jug can be bought and ported for your needs. Machine work alone is 65. The port work is another 80 plus shipping. You can send a used one but it better be good. I have none here and will likely purchase a new one unless something pops up. Just an option. New can be sent here directly to save on shipping it twice. PM me if your interested.
Ken

Thank you. Looks pretty good I'll get ahold of you in a week if you still have it I'll probably buy it

Hi Dave just wanted to let you know I think I'm going to get a cheap aftermarket cylinder and try porting a little bit. I think I'm going to end up having more money into the saw than it's worth if I go with an oem cylinder. This is just going to be my main saw and there's a lot of sand down here so don't want to spend too much money on something that's going to get trashed. I appreciate the offer hope I didn't waste too much of your time

Back