large csm alaskan setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeb1079

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
hey fellas looks like i'll be getting a 3120 soon and i'd like to eventually setup either a 60" alaskan or a 72" alaskan style slabber. i'm looking to build my own so i'd love to see any larger csm's you guys have built. seems like alot of the old pics are gone? so i'm having trouble finding designs. seems like i'll have to use aluminum just to reduce weight, but that's really as far as i've thought so far....

One of the first things to decide is how you want to connect the mill to the saw.

If you just want to clamp the mill to the bar then you can use a twin vertical like a standard Grandberg.

Triple verticals (2 on the inboard and one on the outboard) like this, enable the mill to be bolted to the bar bolts which reduces flex.
wholemill-jpg.318450

Then there are quad verticals like this .
This can make for a very rugged and heavier designs but required more engineering in terms of raising and lowering the mill is needed
Jwheels2.jpg

I'd point you to a few other similar designs but the pics have all gone so there is not much point.

thanks for the reply bob. before i posted i was actually looking for the bil mill pics but they're obviously gone. so cheers for the pics. i've made a couple of smaller csm mills but they're made out of steel and would be quite heavy if they were larger. how is the 3120 for milling btw? how long of a bar would you recommend using? also, i know you've mentioned bar sag in the past...at what bar length do you start to notice it?

That's a Stihl 880 in those CSM pics. I have milled with a Husky 3120 and it is very similar to the 880 although I prefer the later for a milling saw.

I don't know where bar sag starts to kick in. It's not obvious on a 44" bar and my next biggest bar is 60" where it is really obvious.

hey fellas looks like i'll be getting a 3120 soon and i'd like to eventually setup either a 60" alaskan or a 72" alaskan style slabber. i'm looking to build my own so i'd love to see any larger csm's you guys have built. seems like alot of the old pics are gone? so i'm having trouble finding designs. seems like i'll have to use aluminum just to reduce weight, but that's really as far as i've thought so far....

Mike, you 3120 was should make a great mill head for a 50 or 60" bar. Here is the mill I built that uses a 134cc industrial 2-stroke that has a 50" bar. I just milled some buckeye, chinese tallow and black walnut the past two days. The pictures of my build are no longer on this site, maybe someday I'll re-post them. Here is a picture of the mill I took yesterday. It has a remote throttle mounted on a torsion bar for ease of use. The nose oilier I made uses an O-ring machined into a piece that seals to the bar and fed a small hole drilled into the bar slot where the drive links ride. it simple and works very good. jerry-

mill 1.jpg

Back