• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Buy Large Mount Stihl Bar 60"+

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check out Cannon or GB. Cannon has the deeper belly bars which I prefer. Stihl has a 59" but the Cannon 60" is stiffer which I also prefer in a long bar. I have the Stihl and wished I'd bought the Cannon. Had a GB and did not like it's thin profile at all.

Check out Cannon or GB. Cannon has the deeper belly bars which I prefer. Stihl has a 59" but the Cannon 60" is stiffer which I also prefer in a long bar. I have the Stihl and wished I'd bought the Cannon. Had a GB and did not like it's thin profile at all.

Don,

Rail profile, or was it narrow in the belly?

The GB's have almost no belly. The Cannon's have a nice belly. The chain can tend to pull away from the bar easily with no belly as there is a lot of wood to grab it. Not near an issue with the 50" and under bars. Rail profile was fine as far as I am concerned with any bar I have used. I like the 28" and under GB's a lot but just hate the profile of the long ones. The rail hardening is not an issue either.

The GB's have almost no belly. The Cannon's have a nice belly. The chain can tend to pull away from the bar easily with no belly as there is a lot of wood to grab it. Not near an issue with the 50" and under bars. Rail profile was fine as far as I am concerned with any bar I have used. I like the 28" and under GB's a lot but just hate the profile of the long ones. The rail hardening is not an issue either.

Thanks for the clarification, Don.

No problem John. Not much call for the long bars but there is some and experience with them is a rare thing these days. I have been lucky to have the limited experience I do have. Though, I do I live in the PNW where we grow them big at times.

I'm in the process of having Iggesund Forest make a long bar for a customer. He wants a 50-60" bar for a Stihl 880 in 3/8", 0.63". Iggesunds standard bar sortiment is only available in lengths from 13-36", but they will custom make bars in any length and size. They require that one buys 20 or more for bars that aren't standard. So i need a few more people on the list before i can order.

What would the price be on those? Cannon builds a damm good bar so I am not sure where there is a reason to reinvent the wheel?

I haven't gotten a price from them yet, but i dont think that they will be overpriced. The R2 pro bars they sell in 13-36" are reasonably priced compared to other brands.

Iggesund Forest is known for producing the highest quality harvester bars, and the R2 series chainsaw bar is based on the harvester bars. The R2 bar is a solid bar, laser cut out of a single piece of steel, specially hardened and with sprockets meant for a long servicelife.

You can read more here: http://www.iggesundforest.com/
http://www.iggesundforest.com/products/bars/chain-saw-bars/chain-saw-bars-r1-and-r2

No problem John. Not much call for the long bars but there is some and experience with them is a rare thing these days. I have been lucky to have the limited experience I do have. Though, I do I live in the PNW where we grow them big at times.

I will rarely, if ever, need the bar for felling or bucking. My primary use for it will be milling slabs, is the belly depth as much of an issue while ripping?
If the characteristics of chainsaw and bandsaw blades are similar I could see the deeper belly being helpful in keeping the cut straight, the wider the blade the less chance of changing direction but I don't know if it applies here.
I have yet to run a Cannon bar but I will say I think there is way to much flex in my 36" Stihl bar. If their longer bars have similar characteristics I'd hate trying to use it for felling.

Latest posts

Back