Large pine near foundation a problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msjohnson

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have two approximately 35'-40' pines located about 4' to 5' from the foundation of my house. The pines (lodgepole I think, but I'm not sure) have about 16" diameter trunks. The house was built in 1953 and has a basement type foundation (the foundation wall goes down 4' to 5' underground where it sits on a slab). This is in northern Utah, with sandy, rocky soils. There are no apparent problems at all, but I just wondered if anyone can advise me on whether these large trees are a concern. Thanks.

WHile I usualy advise people to allow a minimum of 10 feet from foundations for trees and utilize shrubs for any closer planting, my experience with Pines and foundations leads me say that you have little to fear.-Don't fret about it.

If they are lodge pole pines they shouldn't have too much of a life expectancy. They probably won't live long enough to cause too much trouble.

Well shut my mouth! Lodge poles are mature at 200 years old(web researched my former assertion). They could be around for some time then.

Msjohnson

Any chance of some pics, I'd like to see what sort of pine that is etc.

pines I knowof do nat have the reputation of being wallbusters.

I looked at a large white oak 4' from a house 13 years ago. THe basement wall was cracked. I told the folks that removing the tree would not fix the wall, and that the crack would likely not get much worse if they just let it be.
Looked at it last week. Crack has not grown, tree is in great shape, owners very glad they kept it.

Latest posts

Back