Large Red Fir oozing Pitch, need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alongshot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a large red fir that's been a staple on the property. I'm starting to worry about it, as the pitch is oozing on one side. I've heard that makes them vulnerable to damage, and so it will fall on my house if so. Here are a few pics. I need some advice if this is in danger of falling prematurely, I had a red fir drop just this past week so 20200410_184156.jpg20200410_184038.jpgI'm getting more concerned. Fyi it's a big ****er...

I have seen the big Doug firs ooze pitch like that for years without losing enough integrity to die. The pitch makes great fire starter. That being said, if your area is prone to wind events or ground saturation, I would clear the trees back from the house. I have been in on 3 major tree cleanups in my area in the last year. The contributing factors were wet and unstable soil loosening the roots and wind that blew out of the East. Our prevailing wind is westerly. Those trees fell without warning. Mature, healthy trees fell just as much as sick or distressed. Lots of tops blown out as well. I am looking at a tree behind the house with a different eye these days. It is going to take a cable and block to pull it sideways, but that is the fun stuff to me.

Maybe has something to do with the flag pole mount or the dog sign nailed into it? :drinkingcoffee:

Latest posts

Back