Largest milling bar for 394xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foursaps

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What would be the longest bar you could put on a 394xp for milling? I have a 36" on it now and don't have any problems.
I have had a few requests to mill some very large trees. One is a maple that is ~48-58" across. Also a red oak and black cherry in the 42" range.

I would need at least a 60" bar to mill the maple live edge both sides.

Would a 394 pull a bar big enough to mill it? What setup would you use? Is it worth it?

Thank you BobL. I'm hesitant to purchase a bar that big, worried about long term strain on the saw. Only thing I use this saw for is milling, and while the cool factor of owning a 60" bar is way up there, I'm not sure it's worth sacrificing my only milling saw for.

If you were to want to mill a tree in the 5'-6' range, what would be "the" saw to own? ( engine size wise, I'm not trying to start a ford vs Chevy debate)

90cc is a bit small for 60” bar. Even with a strong 90cc like a 394/5 it’s pushing the limits in power/oiling. They are rated for only up to a 50” bar factory. A 084/088/880/3120 is something I would look into for what your wanting to do.

Thank you BobL. I'm hesitant to purchase a bar that big, worried about long term strain on the saw. Only thing I use this saw for is milling, and while the cool factor of owning a 60" bar is way up there, I'm not sure it's worth sacrificing my only milling saw for.

Something to bear in and is that even on a 5fy diameter log on a couple of cuts are 5ft wide so ts not like you are cutting 5ft wide all the time with

[/QUOTE]If you were to want to mill a tree in the 5'-6' range, what would be "the" saw to own? ( engine size wise, I'm not trying to start a ford vs Chevy debate)[/QUOTE]
As big a saw as you could get hold of.

Latest posts

Back