Last locust of the season

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Put down my last locust for this year...at least I don't have any more lined up. That will make 21 locusts and 2 big willows in the 'stash'. One more big willow to go if I still have enough ambition.

Big and brushy. Didn't realize I had the camera with me until I was half done with the brush out.

002-1.jpg

That is about 1/2 of the brush gone after 4 hours of steady labor cut/stack brush. Camehome with about a 1/2 load of firewood.

001-5.jpg

Butt end was just over 24". Easy splitting as it looks to be 3 stems weakly joined. All of those big chunks still waiting to be hauled.

Nice tree to finish out the season with but I'm gonna be awful tired of clearing brush. Out tomorrow and hope to have all the brushing done. It is out in the field so it needs to be cleared well. Leaf rake and shovel does a reasonable quick job of the little stuff.

Hoping I can haul it all in two more trips but figure it will be three.

Harry K

Last edited:
001-5.jpg

I see you have three saws in the picture. I am guessing that the big one in front is a 044 or 046. I can't tell what the other two are I am thinking Mid range saws since they have the orange handles.

I am thinking about going to the three saw plan myself just wondering purpose of each saw .

Thanks
Beefie

001-5.jpg

I see you have three saws in the picture. I am guessing that the big one in front is a 044 or 046. I can't tell what the other two are I am thinking Mid range saws since they have the orange handles.

I am thinking about going to the three saw plan myself just wondering purpose of each saw .

Thanks
Beefie

MS210/16" bought just this summer for my "limbing saw" That thing impresses me what it can do for its size.

MS310/20" - many years old. I think I bought it near the start of the MS series. Main bucking saw.

MS361/25" - for the big stuff. 310/361 seems pretty much a duplicate but the 310 just won't carry enough bar for the big willows I get hooked into removing. The 361 will haul a 28"/skip for that stuff. Should have bought the 361 to begin with instead of the 310.

Harry K

End of day 2:

001-6.jpg

Still brush to get rid of. Was hot and a bit humid today. 4 1/2 hours of it was all I could hack, started tripping over shadows on the ground ;) dripping sweat, etc. Did get a decent load weight wise, a bit over 1/2 rack full - that locust weighs a bunch!

Out tomorrow and should finish the brushing easy and get most of the remaining wood on the truck, don't think I can haul it all in one load.

This 'every day' thang is really beating me down. Be glad to finish this rush job.

Harry K

Harry - I am not looking forward to retiring if I have to work as hard as you do.:clap:
I'm not sure I could keep up with you NOW

Harry - I am not looking forward to retiring if I have to work as hard as you do.:clap:
I'm not sure I could keep up with you NOW

Hah! Even a paraplegic could have kept up with me today. Saw fire up at 7, departed at 10:30. Work done? A bit of cleanup on brushing and 'noodled' enough rounds to make a fair load. Did more leaning on the PU than working. Should have been about an hours work but my rear is still dragging from the past two days. Just 6 of the butt cuts left to do in the morning and then I am taking a day or two off!!

Realized on the way home that I have basically worked my way out of 'wooding' for next year. Kinda rediculous to keep building on that huge stash and I will not sell locust. Guess I will scout for another willow patch to clean up. That would keep me 'wooding' and supply a stock to sell to those customers. Still can't believe people will pay for willow.

Harry K

Harry,

I haven't been around for a while, but it's good to see you're still beating the crap out of those trees. I hope to be able to do half the work at your age. :)

Good work and I hear you on the every day loading gets tough...this spring I cleared a road and even being a guy in his lower 30's who hits the gym 5 times a week going after work every day to load a truck and trailer then unloading it after that so I could go back the next day was KILLING me...had to space it to every other day...

Good work and I hear you on the every day loading gets tough...this spring I cleared a road and even being a guy in his lower 30's who hits the gym 5 times a week going after work every day to load a truck and trailer then unloading it after that so I could go back the next day was KILLING me...had to space it to every other day...

That is my usual plan Cut one day, unload the next. This site had 4 good locusts but I was only allowed to work at them after harvest and before they worked the field. Waited a full year to get them.

Finished up today. Only had 6 of hte butt cuts to bust up and load. Spent a bit of time chopping burls out of the remaining stump and trimming them off the rounds. Hoping a buddy will want them as I won't do anythign with them.

005.jpg

Of course on the way home I took a back road. Yep, spotted a totally dead and down locust. Dunno if I will chase that or not...yes I do and yes I will. This disease is incurable :)

Harry K

Back