latest score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshnnh

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I just got a 281xp and a 272xp for a swap of some hvac tools that where given to me by a neighbor. Both saws have new pc. They are relatively clean. Nothing a degreasing and air hose won't fix. My questions are 1 are parts available for these models? 2 the 281 was converted to a 288 according to the seller. How can I tell? And it has a blue coil. Is this the rev limiting version? Is that a bad thing. I'm gettingb better at my modding and would like to do the mufflers on both as they look a little restricted. Maybe its just my need to see what I can get out of a engine. Any answers aregreatly appreciated.

And what is :3grin2orange???

Congrats are nice deal. I have a 281xp and it s an awesome saw. Has alot of torque in all ranges and plenty of power, its the most dependable saw I have in my collection. If the 272 is anything like the 371xp which I think it its good saw too. I havent had to purchase too many parts for either of these saws but when Im looking around for husqvarna parts there seems to be plenty of 181, 281, and 288 series parts. Hopefully the PC are OEM and no Big Bore or aftermarket but either way I think you will be impressed with.

Did you put them in some wood? Pics?

Both good saws, and yes, parts are available, OEM and aftermarket. I think you can nearly build a 272xp with all aftermarket parts- cases and tank included!
I'd say the only way to tell if it's really been converted to a 288 is to take the top end off and measure the bore.

I have not cut with them yet. The pc are not oem. I wish. They appear to be npw. Or whaver it is. The baileys ones. They are not meteor. But they seem to run well. If I can find a oem on chainsawr for a good price aybe I'll grab them when budget permits. I thought it was a good deal being that it was at zero cost to me. Just some commercial hvac tools that I'll never use and to be frank I don't actually know how to use them. My neighbor was a real nice guy and gave me all his stuff when he moved. A billygoat yard vac, a macintosh home stereo with 2 jbl studio masters. 3 oxy/acetaline set ups. To name a few of the things. All I had to do is mow his grass while his house was on the market. How do these saws respond to mods? Anyone ever tweeked either of these models? If so what did youdo.

Ask him if he has the old cylinder. Both will respond to mods nicely.

272's really need some simple muffler work. Stock mufflers with the "teeth" over the outlet are, to me, restictive. Grind or file off the teeth to let it flow a bit better and by doing that keep some of the exhaust heat off the chain brake flag. They're great saws. Easy to work on; plenty of parts available; cut great.

Teetn? This one is a bkt banged up but its just an empty can with a half inch hole under the spark arreser and hood. I plan to mill out al the material at the outlet until its even with the size of the inlet. Or tig a cover over factory outlet and tack in a 3/4" pipe out of the top crner on the clutch side. What would happen if I formed a piece of pipe to match the outlet on the cylinder and just ran straight out threw the can?

281/288 mufflers don't restrict much especially on a stock saw. You can remove the rear-facing deflector if you want, but you can also just bend the rear deflector up and achieve much of the same gain.

Oh, btw, that 's some serious suckage! I should be so lucky![/QUOTEdid both mufflers with good results. Got to cut with them both over the weekend and the 281 screams. The 272 needs the oiling system checked. But both cut well. Got out the 2100 to play around with that and got into a nest of yellow jackets shortly after. That sucked. But I went back for the saw. And its fine

Back