Laurel Oak with fungus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sunliner

Sunliner

I have a Laurel Oak in my front yard..been watching for about 2 years now. During warm weather and after a heavy rain within a day or so, I find this white growth in crevasses on the base. If left alone, some get as big as a golf ball. If I remove them, they will stay gone until the next significant rain fall. They do not return as long as it is dry and cold out.
I've read around a bit and it appears that this is probably an indicator of root rot. The canopy of the tree looks good and in fact there is what appears to be a new branch trying to grow off the side...nice and green.
So...the questions and I know we don't have x-ray vision here, but:
1. Is the tree pretty much doomed?
2. Does me removing the fungus as I find it make a difference one way or the other as far as the tree's survival?
thanks for reading
photo.php
photo.php
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sunliner/media/CAM00013_zpseb9gfqte.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/sunliner/media/CAM00015_zps9fxyqfci.jpg.html] [/URL]

BC WetCoast

BC WetCoast

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Your pic and link didn't work.

Tough to tell from your description whether it's root rot or some other form of fungus. Given you didn't call it a mushroom, I suspect that it isn't armillaria root rot, which have mushrooms as fruiting bodies.

In general, if you remove a a conk or mushroom, it will make no difference to the fungus, which is actually mycelium (tiny fibres and mats) within the tree. An analogy would be a rose. Does picking a rose flower affect the rose plant - no. Neither does picking a conk/mushroom.

At this point, I wouldn't say your tree is doomed, but you may want to consider putting some pennies away just in case.

Latest posts