Leaking Ram DHT 28 ton

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SgtStryker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a Dirty Hands Tool 28 ton splitter. I bought it about 2 years ago and have only put about 40 hours on the splitter. The splitter has alway been stored in my garage or shed, never outdoors. Last week I open the shed and discovered, to my surprise, that the Ram on my DHT was leaking badly. The leak in the Ram was coming from the rod, so there must be a problem with the Rod seals. I called DHT and they told me the warranty on the Ram is only a year and a new Ram from DHT is around $190.00. I’m considering trying to replace the seals on the Ram myself. If anyone knows the make and model number of the DHT 28 ton Ram and a good online hydraulic parts dealer I would appreciate it. I figure, I can’t break it any worse than it already is and if I can’t fix it myself, I’ll just have to suck it up and buy a new Ram, but I’d like to give fixing the Ram a shot. Seal kits don’t seem to cost too much, so it’s not much of a gamble. If there was a hydraulic repair company any where near me I’d bring it to them, but unfortunately there isn’t. Thanks, in advance for any help that may be given. I truly appreciate it.

I can't see the ram end of the cylinder in the various pictures but if the front of the cylinder has a round plate with 2 holes or in-sets in it for a spanner wrench it is possible that it may have come a bit loose. this has happen on various brands over the years. So you could see it you can tighten that end cap. That might be all it takes.

I've ordered a spanner and I definitely try to tighten it up before I order a seal kit. Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated.

I've ordered a spanner and I definitely try to tighten it up before I order a seal kit. Thanks for the advise. Much appreciated.
If it's leaking around the rod then tightening the end cap isn't gonna do much. I'd give DHT a shout..he stands pretty firmly behind his stuff.

The folks at DHT's got in contact with me and asked to see some pictures of the problem I was having with my Ram. I sent them pictures of the leak the next day and within about 20 minutes they had gotten back to me and let me know that they had gotten the pictures. About 20 minutes later they told me that they were sending me a new Ram for my Splitter. It's so nice to know that there are still companies out there that stand behind their products. Kudos to DHT, you have my deepest Appreciation and my Thanks. I've already ordered the larger table for my splitter, thru Lowes. Thanks to the other folks out there that gave me good advise.

I will definitely agree that Dirty Hand Tools KNOWS what Customer Service is all about. We have the 27 ton splitter, ours was one of the last ones to get some of the bad thread paste on the fittings, and it was leaking pretty badly, they arranged for me to take it to the local John Deere dealer, and their shop, removed cleaned and resealed ALL the fittings, not just the ones that had started leaking.

While talking to Brad at DHT on the phone about this, I mentioned that one of the few things that I was disappointed about in this class splitter was that ALL the brands use those Damned hub mounted wheels with those tiny bearings, and have a 45MPH road speed limit. I asked, where do I even get one of those for a spare?, as we take our splitter with us to the woods when cutting, (it piggybacks in the 6x12 tandem trailer outbound, but rolls home on it's own wheels coming home if we have a good cutting day.) Brad said, "I can take care of that" and he sent me a complete tire/wheel loaded with bearings as a warranty, no charge, even shipping :).

We have been very Happy with our DHT splitter, and that Kohler engine starts first pull, almost every time. I would buy another DHT splitter without hesitation.

Doug

The folks at DHT's got in contact with me and asked to see some pictures of the problem I was having with my Ram. I sent them pictures of the leak the next day and within about 20 minutes they had gotten back to me and let me know that they had gotten the pictures. About 20 minutes later they told me that they were sending me a new Ram for my Splitter. It's so nice to know that there are still companies out there that stand behind their products. Kudos to DHT, you have my deepest Appreciation and my Thanks. I've already ordered the larger table for my splitter, thru Lowes. Thanks to the other folks out there that gave me good advise.

It's great that they are replacing the ram. I ran a Big John tree transplanter for 30+ years. Those machines have at least 12 or more hydrolic rams that would wear out from time to time. I always took them to a hydrolic place for repair and they always did a great job. Im sure with the right tools and parts just about anyone could fix one. I tried to fix my control valve on my splitter once but I didn't have the right tools for the job and it didn't work out for me and I had to buy a replacement for it.
I would take that leaky one and see if you can fix it for a spare or sell it as used.
I've been looking to get another splitter and have looked at the DHT brand. Good to hear they stand behind what they sell. I may look at them again after hearing that they honored your repair.

Back