leaking spark plug insert

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blairito

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hello, I have a ms362 that the previous owner installed a timesert crooked in the cylinder, I had a machinist try to level the aluminum mating surface with a end mill to the angle of the insert
it seemed to be ok with a brand new plug, but not for long, would this leak cause a failure?
i have a farmertec piston and cylinder i bought just to be safe if it didn't work out, could i use the oem piston with the aftermarket jug?
its sad because the piston and cylinder look new
the saw runs fine, but doesn't seem to react to the high needle adjustments, can't seem to get it to burble.any advice is appreciated

A leaking decompression valve probably leaks more than it does.
Oil and carbon will usually seal tiny leaks.

A timesert should seal with 266 loctite if they installed it as directed.

The milling sounds like a good save.

The OEM is going to run better than a farmertech. If you use the oem piston with the aftermarket cylinder I would recommend new Caber rings. Most aftermarket rings are inferior to OEM or Caber
I would discourage using rings that were used in one cylinder, then installed in another. They may not seal well.

Before running an OEM piston in an AM jug I would highly recommend checking all clearances before and during assembly. The AM stuff just isn`t machined as well as OEM and there is often loose particles of casting and or from the plating process left in the transfer tunnels, even the bevels on the posts need to be checked closely to see if there is any interference with the piston or rings. Place a new ring in the cylinder, use the piston to push the ring squarely up to just above the exhaust port and then check ring end gap, should be more than .006 up to .009 for a safe fit.

Back