Leaner Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My advice if you are not comfortable is to pay a good tree service to just cut it to the ground for you and leave it. At least get a price for this before you attempt it yourself. It should take an hour, a couple hundred or so would be my guess.

I have no input regarding whether or not you should have done it yourself. You did however save yourself at least $1000, you should celebrate and go buy yourself a new saw :rock:.

I think you should spend your saving here... :hmm3grin2orange:

horny-care.jpg

I told ya so.

cutting chunks out from the bottom really is the safest way to control the weight

Plus, that thing was tiny! I did a nasty poplar a few weeks ago that was 30" at the base and I cut it down in about 12 sections. It was hung up bad and I just worked it down a bit at a time. Gradually move the weight down. No commotion, no drama, no heavy equipment needed. There were two original model T bodies under that tree and I put the last section down on one nice and gentle with a series of relief cuts. Didn't even crack the glass, everyone went home alive :)

I did a nasty poplar a few weeks ago that was 30" at the base and I cut it down in about 12 sections. It was hung up bad and I just worked it down a bit at a time. Gradually move the weight down. No commotion, no drama, no heavy equipment needed. There were two original model T bodies under that tree and I put the last section down on one nice and gentle with a series of relief cuts. Didn't even crack the glass, everyone went home alive :)
No photos or it didn't happen. ;)

WOW A grand a tree!!! I just had 3 dead elms by fence and garage/house (lots of branches) and each tree was about 30"across at the stump. They used a high-lo and had to rope drop one trees branches, cut ,ground branches and hauled all wood away and cleaned up all for a grand.

WOW A grand a tree!!! I just had 3 dead elms by fence and garage/house (lots of branches) and each tree was about 30"across at the stump. They used a high-lo and had to rope drop one trees branches, cut ,ground branches and hauled all wood away and cleaned up all for a grand.

Which is why I decided to do it myself. At least I waited for the wife to get home in case someone needed to call for an ambulance. :msp_sad: Although, she was kind enough to give me pointers and advice as she watched from the back deck.

In the contractor's defense, the grand included the clean up and stump grinding. In this case, there wasn't a stump per se needing to be ground as more than half of it was rotted away.

I told ya so.

cutting chunks out from the bottom really is the safest way to control the weight

Plus, that thing was tiny! I did a nasty poplar a few weeks ago that was 30" at the base and I cut it down in about 12 sections. It was hung up bad and I just worked it down a bit at a time. Gradually move the weight down. No commotion, no drama, no heavy equipment needed. There were two original model T bodies under that tree and I put the last section down on one nice and gentle with a series of relief cuts. Didn't even crack the glass, everyone went home alive :)

Good advice but I was hesitant as I'd never done it that way before.

I have no input regarding whether or not you should have done it yourself. You did however save yourself at least $1000, you should celebrate and go buy yourself a new saw :rock:.

I would love to get a bigger saw but the practical side in me says I should wait until I at least retire and maybe actually have a use for something bigger. :rock:

Anyone in the local Delaware area willing to take on an apprentice? I'm still pretty darn healthy (I have to be to stay in the Air Force) and people tell me I am a fast learner. :msp_biggrin:

Back