Leaning Oak with Root Rot

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tank

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
This is a valley oak that leans over an office building and is under the canopy of a larger valley oak. The office building is to the left of the tree. There was a second trunk on this tree or was a separate tree. In any case when the building and parking lot were constructed about 10 years ago the second trunk was cut. The remaining stump was left in place and had completely decayed. There was silver tuft mushrooms growing on it. The stump was loose so I removed it. After some excavation around the root collar, I discovered that the roots have a fair amount of rot on them. There was also a lot of rot under the bark on the trunk (as you can see in the picture). I think it may be armellaria (oak root fungus). In any case my recommendation is to remove it because it leans over the building and is also growing under the canopy of a larger valley oak. If the tree was not over the building I would be a little more risky and would probably further excavate the collar and let it dry and replace the soil. But I think the safe and prudent thing is to remove. Concur??

The picture appears to show fresh wounding on the remaining trunk, in the plane of the lean. That is not good; how'd it happen? It also show a horizontal roll of tissue to the left of that wound; hard to say from here whether that's some kind of boundary.

"If the tree was not over the building I would be a little more risky and would probably further excavate the collar "

More soil excavation is not going to ruin the tree's stability, as long as you don't cut any roots. Find out what tissue is alive and what tissue is dead. If you send more pics, get one of the crown if you can.

Armillaria is a common soil-borne fungus, and should not be the kiss of death for every tree it touches. Also attach pics of the rhizomorphs if you see any.

treeseer said:
The picture appears to show fresh wounding on the remaining trunk, in the plane of the lean. That is not good; how'd it happen?

I believe that's where the other stump was removed.

Treeman14 said:
I believe that's where the other stump was removed.
That does seem to be the case, Brett, but it's very unusual for oaks around here to graft at all, expecially that high up. but it's been a while since I even laid eyes on a valley oak, and I don't think I've seen any in Tampa.:monkey:

Closeup pics wopuld help a lot.

Latest posts

Back