Learning the hard way

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Like a lot of you, I love working on saws. I’m always on the hunt for gems that I might be able to repair etc. When a saw is being sold as a parts/repair saw, I’m usually expecting that I can repair Vs part-out. I’m still learning.

I understand that saws are used hard in brutal conditions, will be repaired over time, and may have aftermarket parts. It’s only when you really break em down you begin to see the real story.

I wanted to share a recent repair fail (Stihl 044). When I removed the muffler, the bottom left muffler bolt required a 6mm hex. At the time I didn’t think much of it, just some quirky engineering on an old saw. I removed the oil pump, and the end of the hard line seemed to crumble. I thought, old metal, soft aluminum, maybe I pulled it too hard. There were tiny bits of metal left it the channel to the bar plate.

I flushed out the oil channel with some spray. This is when I noticed the spray coming through the crankcase...on the muffler side.

Conclusion:

Muffler bolt hole was tapped to a larger thread size (acceptable repair imo), but got the depth wrong. It was drilled/tapped to the tip of the oil pipe. The bolt used was long enough to block the hole on the bar plate and the oil pump line.

In the picture you can see the end of the new oil hose through the hole.

The used saw game is a tough place to play sometimes :)

73275CA0-D87F-45F0-B3B2-30AF079F6C04.jpegDF22317F-EADF-4E09-889E-79FB74843384.jpeg

Interesting!

So was the problem that it wasn't oiling?

What was the fix?

Interesting!

So was the problem that it wasn't oiling?

What was the fix?

I imagine for the prior user it wouldn’t get much if any oil to the bar.

I would imagine some jb weld might work. The passage from the bar pad to the cavity is pretty close to the opening.

The red you see is the tip of the sprayer. I may just source a new case as this one has other damage.

DFBD3F99-0AEA-451E-B4EB-3057C185D0A7.jpeg

Slap it back together and sell it on Ebay for $500. Make sure you include the phrase, " I know nothing about this saw, but it seems to be all there." That seems to be what everyone else on there does.

Back