Learning to climb.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelofDarkness

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am sort of a rookie to tree work although I have used saws for "ground" jobs for quite awhile. Climbing looks like a lot of fun and I would like to learn the basics. I am concerned I may be too big and tall, I'm 6'3" and about 240 lbs. Can I find climbing gear that will be comfortable? I am also kind of afraid of heights but climbing still sounds like fun. To top it off (no pun intended) I am not very good with ropes and knots, but somehow I would feel safer tied into a tree than on top of a wobbly ladder where one slip would make me fall.

Welcome,

Search around, actually there was another gentlemen who just joined the sight and he started a thread on the 101...i suggest you read is and search around a litte bit.

There are some suggested books and other material.

Tree Climbers Compain - To start great book

search around on google too...find a lot there

if you are looking for a really basic video corney but it shows knots. Tree Climbing basics.

I am not 6'2, only 5'10 but i am sure there are harnest that will fit you just fine.

Another recmondation the video section. Some great info in their.

Good luck and be safe

without a doubt man there is gear to fit you. I am 6'2'' and 225 lbs and have no problems. I bought a New Tribe Pro Gear saddle and it fits great. as for what i have seen climbing is more about being in shape rather than size to gain comfort and with time will come finesse to move around easier.

Cool. Where should I look for gear. I will have to pick up that climbing book too. I'm in decent shape, better than I look like I should be, I run, lift weights and throw around hand logs like they were kindling, I could probably even do 2-3 pull-ups.

And I noticed Amazon has a crappy selection of books for tree work, every search I get turns up a bunch of new age tree huggy crap.

In my opinion, size really doesn't matter all that much. I'm quite a bit bigger than you are and have never had any serious problems because of my size. If you are looking for equipment, try the sponsered forums in the middle of this site-their websites will have alot of what you need. One thing i can tell you being a big guy, climb with your legs and not your arms.

Well not to worry about your size.... I'm a climber (deal with a lot of big removals) that stands 6'8" and about 285lbs. You'll just get more looks thats all, especially if you're like me running a big 880 or 3120 at eighty feet up with a 50" bar and not thinking its a very big deal...hehe

I know buckingham makes an XL saddle that was too big for me, so i dont know how "big" of a guy you are, but there is plenty out there for us big guys too.

you had mentioned that you weren't very good with knots and what not... there is a book called "the tree climber's companion" it is a GREAT starter book. you can find it on ebay for like $15 or so...
i think it is on it's 3rd or 4th version but it covers every thing to get started.
i was always a growndy and got tried of that and just like you, said it looks like fun, now i have been it a climber for 2 years and like the other guy said it's not about size it's about being fit....
hope that helps

Not a big deal

I am 6'6" and I have no prblem moving around ina tree. I have a sherill master versatile I think it may be xl, but I think it sjust large. Keep in mind I am only 220 lbs. As far as being out of shape....do some tree work get someone to teach you and you will build all the muscles you need...Actually to think of iot, learn to footlock, it will strengthen your arms and helpo withy our comfortability with heights and rope..

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll look for that book on Amazon, see how available it is. Right now I really cant afford a lot of gear, I will keep my eyes open for some used stuff. The only tree guy I know that climbs doesen't do it much, I've been with him on one removal job where he climbed and it looked like fun, he was only up about 25 feet or so. I'd like to get a job with a tree co. but any job is hard to find around here, if I had the money and gear (and could afford the insurance) I would go out on my own, I have to do something, I am about to get laid off from my $9 an hour grounds job in about 7 weeks.

Cool. Where should I look for gear. I will have to pick up that climbing book too. I'm in decent shape, better than I look like I should be, I run, lift weights and throw around hand logs like they were kindling, I could probably even do 2-3 pull-ups.

And I noticed Amazon has a crappy selection of books for tree work, every search I get turns up a bunch of new age tree huggy crap.

I am sure there are lots of places, Check out Baileys they have climbing gear and books.

Ya definetly Baileys...or i also like wesspur...and sherill tree...all three are very good sites...there are lots of other ones out there too i am sure.

Back