leaving ropes in trees?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was just curious about something; if you guys are working on a multi-day removal / prune, do you leave your block / rope in the tree? I have on occasion when working on a large removal left my block up in a tree so that I didn't have to go retrieve it and set it again. Is this a common practice?

Sure...

I like to leave the line out of sight if possible, or at least tied off out of reach. Sometimes you can replace the line with a throw line...

I occasionally leave a line in the tree. Like rb said, try to tie it high on the backside of the tree, out of sight. I, too, usually switch out the good line and just leave an old tag line, just in case.

I have on rare occasions. I will throw the end of the rope up so I have to use a pole saw to retrieve it.

Kids are my main consideration before leaving anything.

And ballsy squirrels, too! They can do a number on ropes with their elevated testosterone levels.

I always leave the line in the tree when I'm sleeping on the end of it. Everytime I leave a tree overnight, though, I replace the line with a throwline. Not worth it getting damaged by hyper squirrels, and not worth a kid's injury.

Nickrosis

if i leave a rope in a tree, i coil it up and hang it at least 10 feet off the ground so kids can't swing on it and get hurt.

Very seldom do I leave a rope in a tree. If I do I generally coil and hang it out of reach like several others have mentioned. If I do leave a rope it isn't my primary climbing line. Generally speaking I leave very little gear out even when just goiing to lunch. Between liability and thieves the risks(while small) are just too great.

I don't think i've ever left a block in a tree. Used to leave ropes, but always uncomfortable. I have left a throw line in on occasion in the last few years.

Been a long time since I left a removal unfinnished.

Ive never left a Climbing line or a rigging line in a tree just paranoid i guess. Ive left a few pull lines hanging around if i was going to drop the tree the next day.

I know a guy who leaves ropes in trees as part of his business plan.. His brother runs a reall good tree service so when his brother's customers call him accidently, he assures them they've called the right company..then leaves the job half done.. with a rope still in tree. He gives the customer some story about why he needs to get paid and how he'll be back tomorrow.. cashes the check and 2 months later the rope is still in the tree.
I was subbing some bucket work to him a few years back.. eating lunch at a local bagel shop... in mid-sentence he jumped up and walked out of the store without a word... a minute later one of these customers came up and told me about the cable and pruning he never came back for, and the $300 he walked with.
When I got with him to finish the job, I asked... 'why'd you leave in such a hurry"? His reply.. "I had to call my insurance agent".
That was the last time I worked with him.
Funny thing is he's been practicing TM for 25 years.. figures he'd know the law of Karma by now..
God Bless All,
Daniel

I went to lunch one day, came back to find a dog tugging on the tail hanging off of my porta wrap.
If I am working on a multi day removal -usually multi tree- and have nailed that perfect rigging spot in a near by tree I will leave a throw line in it.
Greg

I have only left a block in a tree a few times. The first time was a big pine tree at a friend's house where I was going to be back the next day to cut the wood out anyways. The second / last time was not my block (belonged to a "friend") and we were cutting 5 pine trees over a house. Had the block set just right and I wasn't gonna go back up for it because that would have meant 3 trips up and down the 1 tree.

Back