Lesson learned on the cheap AM P&C kits

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are you selling them at that price?

At $30 each, they would need to run the saw for me.

I dont sell crap but do pass on info on the best deals out there freely.

What are you talking about? :dizzy: That is cheaper then your $20 delivered you tried to sell the guy. Other folks rings are under $17 delivered for A PAIR. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I dont sell crap but do pass on info on the best deals out there freely.

What are you talking about? :dizzy: That is cheaper then your $20 delivered you tried to sell the guy. Other folks rings are under $17 delivered for A PAIR. :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

And my quote of $20 was a ballpark figure...they are actually cheaper than $20, just post the link.

I feel really stupid, I have fought the compression fight for two years and thought that people just had gauges with tweaked needles. As it turns out I flat never thought about altitude, that is a great relief for us people in the high country.:buttkick:

+1 on caber rings. I believe it was a post by nmurph that said that the Meteor brand is actually OEM for some of the European scooter manufacturers. I'd always heard good things about Meteor and Caber.

Anyway, I'd say that all am p&c kits are not created equal.

I feel really stupid, I have fought the compression fight for two years and thought that people just had gauges with tweaked needles. As it turns out I flat never thought about altitude, that is a great relief for us people in the high country.:buttkick:

kz-
hope all is well in arizona. i suffered a lot of stress too. i thought my autozone gauge was defective. after a rebuild a top end would show130psi. 150psi was like a carrot on a stick. The only saw i have that has 150psi is the first saw i bought, in the late eighties, a husqvarna 61, weird because it isn't very powerful for its size. it was difficult to tune for this altitude too. it's interesting that i don't notice any difference in performance from sea level in the bay area.

i checked on google maps and see that you are at about the same altitude as me, 5600'. my house is closer to 6000 but parts of the property are higher.

I haven't run the saw at all, since I'm still waiting for an air filter base. I pulled the cylinder and measured the Huztl base gasket to measure--it was the exact same thickness as the "thin" Stihl gasket--.52mm. I replaced the Huztl-supplied rings with some Caber rings and rechecked the compression. No change--still 120 psi. As soon as I get the filter base, I'll run the saw in some wood and see if the rings seat in. If not, I'm assuming the cylinder is either out of round or oversized. After I run the saw, I'll check the compression, and if it hasn't come up some, I'll pull the cylinder back off and mic it.

I haven't run the saw at all, since I'm still waiting for an air filter base. I pulled the cylinder and measured the Huztl base gasket to measure--it was the exact same thickness as the "thin" Stihl gasket--.52mm. I replaced the Huztl-supplied rings with some Caber rings and rechecked the compression. No change--still 120 psi. As soon as I get the filter base, I'll run the saw in some wood and see if the rings seat in. If not, I'm assuming the cylinder is either out of round or oversized. After I run the saw, I'll check the compression, and if it hasn't come up some, I'll pull the cylinder back off and mic it.

before you take the top end off again, you might perform a squish band measurement with appropriate sized solder and a micrometer. most think that .020" is ideal but the asian kits tend to bigger gaps. i've always wondered if they do that because chinese gasoline has a lower octane rating. also, have you used your compression tester on a known good saw? has it ever read 150psi or above? what's your altitude? i usually do not use a gasket, just an appropriate sealant.

I'll check that tonight. I've got a 260 I need to re-ring as well... hopefully the caber rings do better for me in the factory cylinder!

When I checked the squish on my Huztl cylinder, it was in the .040" range without a base gasket. The Caber ring did some to bump up the compression a little, but not by much.

When I checked the squish on my Huztl cylinder, it was in the .040" range without a base gasket. The Caber ring did some to bump up the compression a little, but not by much.

i've seen similar results with asian kits. i doubt that caber vs: cheap hutzl rings would give a dramatic increase in compression but would likely give a longer service life. some of the rings i've seen recently are really inferior.

I have found on a lot of aftermarket stuff from "the peoples republic" that the threads are missing. Not sure why but they seem to have a quality assurance blind eye when it comes to threads. Or maybe they're just doing it to mess us. Either the threads just aren't there.
Completely unrelated to chainsaws, but maybe appropriate. I bought a 19" grizzly bandsaw. On assembly the guide rail holes were drilled, but not tapped deep enough, and the bolts were crap! Had to drill, retap and buy new bolts to assemble. Frustrating that they didn't at least drill and tap the holes deep enough!

20140910_195604.jpg 044 with a big bore kit At 200psi

Im happy with the aftermarket top end. This saw is a monster. Havr about 5 tanks through it now.

I did clean up the ports slightly and a couple casting issues. But for 70 bucks im happy.

Latest posts

Back