Let Me Try To "Stump" you - Pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cambium

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A guy who knows his trees told me what this is...I'm only 95% sure...

What Is It?

100_1421.jpg

Left Pile:
100_1419.jpg

100_1423.jpg

Alder is my guess, but is not a very prominent wood in the Eastern U.S.

My other guess would be butternut, but the growth rings are too large for butternut.

fast growing open annual rings and very wet in also a residential area ...hmm im thinking a fruit tree of some sort

Flotek your right on! Sparky8370
& CASADOR you guys hit it dead on. Pear but the tree doesn't bear fruit.yes its residential. Cool thing about noticing the rings.

HOLY GROWTH RINGS BATMAN. That was the very first thing I noticed WOW what a grower. So no Bradford Pears produce fruit ? or just that particular one ?

Whoever said Ailanthis. Ailanthis is a very prolific grower, and a crappy softwood tree. The bark is absolutely smooth, and has no furrows in the bark at all. I hate it.

HOLY GROWTH RINGS BATMAN. That was the very first thing I noticed WOW what a grower. So no Bradford Pears produce fruit ? or just that particular one ?

Whoever said Ailanthis. Ailanthis is a very prolific grower, and a crappy softwood tree. The bark is absolutely smooth, and has no furrows in the bark at all. I hate it.

they give off fruit but they are the size or smaller then crabapples.. not worth anything just something to rake up. as for the overall size you can buy then dwarf ( that i got ) so it does not over power my yard. very pretty in the spring/fall with all white flowers.

I like the second pic. Looks like a firewood stack as a privacy fence, nice job.

Latest posts

Back