Lets see them Muffler mod pics

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks!.. It's never easy welding thick stuff to thin stuff... TIG makes it easier though. :D

Ive never used a TIG but i can weld thin metal with a MIG/MAG fairly well.
Its because i used to own 1970s and 80s Fords lol I had plenty practice:dizzy:
Butt welding .6mm is tricky though, .9 is easy:)

036mufflermod2.jpg

Ive never used a TIG but i can weld thin metal with a MIG/MAG fairly well.
Its because i used to own 1970s and 80s Fords lol I had plenty practice:dizzy:
Butt welding .6mm is tricky though, .9 is easy:)

036mufflermod2.jpg

A guy can always trigger weld thinner material with a mig... That takes all the hard out of it right there.

There's no replacement for the amperage control you get with TIG though. It's only handicap is travel speed... Much slower that MIG or a push-pull setup.

Hey gremlin glad your back,I to thought you fell off the face of the earth.Your the one that got me going with all this modding stuff and I can't thank you enough.Heres the muffler on my 026 I just finished a woods port on.Muffler design look familiar?:chainsaw:

ya i had some rough times there for a while. im still kicking though. great job on that mod man looks great

DSC00281.jpg

Im not so proud of this muffler mod my MIG welder was playing up, Im guessing its time for a new liner again GRRR
I left the original outlet and ground a hole through the back part of the muffler and fitted the deflector, Its just a bit of box section trimmed down to fit and an end welded on.

Its a 262XP that i have woods ported tightened the squish and fitted a new ring.
It runs really well (so far) I just fitted an 8 pin on it and it cuts like crazy in Scots pine with the 15" bar:)

maybe a little more practice on the mig wouldnt go wrong!
to make a tidy job with a mig you need to make all the metal your welding bare with no rust or paint.
also use a shade of filter you can see though i use an autochange mask set at #9 but use a #8 sometimes i find i cant see what im doing on thin metal with low settings with a #10.

Wow an 8 or 9 shade for GMAW you will hurt your eyes should be set in between 10 and 11.

Looks fugly, but has served me well for over 2 years. She still wears the green cap, like a badge of courage.

Wow an 8 or 9 shade for GMAW you will hurt your eyes should be set in between 10 and 11.

Thats dragging up an old post! But i stand by what i posted the #8 is for welding car bodys at full reach at odd angles at 35 amps!
For stick welding I use darker shades but a 11 seems way too dark for most of my welding.

Any merit to this idea.Seems like an easy fix and some what adjustable depending on how much you open them up.I was thinking of cutting these on the side of my muffler.Picture is just shoddy attempt on a piece of scrap slit with Dremel cut off wheel.
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/aa221/neurath/IMG_0010.jpg

The fish gill mod is fairly common ive seen pics of a few on here and this was how i opened a 025 i had.

Good idea and works well.

attachment.php

026 fixed H still runnin tad rich on top. might open uo the deflector now. shes revn much better than stock.

attachment.php

310 modded inside and the deflector is cut

looking through my gutted 359 muffler. it has 3 exit ports on the front of the muffler aswell as the factory top port
attachment.php

attachment.php

eshaust port lots bigger than factory. im thinking about going alittle wider still. this porting never ends and if i do it will be the 3rd time ive takn the grinder to it.
attachment.php

Last edited:
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
Heres one I just finished,it's a cat muffler off a 2006 Husky 359 e-tech.I cut the pipe off level with the bottom of the exhaust port inside the muffler then I cut on both sides of the deflector and pulled it back then I drilled around the pipe on the top and took it off and enlarged the exhaust port put the deflector cover back down and made an extension for the deflector and brased it all together.This should work great on a stock Husky 359.
attachment.php

Husky 141. Removed spark screen from support cage (it goes back in quickly). Drilled 4 1/4" holes then dremeled them out into pairs. Grinding stone to tidy things up. Not the prettiest, but it sounds mean and lets me pull 3/8 with a 7 pin instead of low-pro with a 6.

attachment.php

288xp. Cut out baffle on factoy port, cut deflector out of muffler inlet, and cut in a second port on left side. I trimmed the cover to fit. Both were painted with VHT rattle can.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back