Lets see those trailers!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a variety of stuff for moving firewood around.

322142118.jpg

322142122.jpg

322142124.jpg

291204472.jpg

Being from michigan and i'm from ohio, look for a livestock trailer. there triple axle and built as strong as ever and with a sawz-all and a few bucks you can cobble a rig that will haul as much as you ever wanna pull. I make it outside i'll take some pics of my $500 beauty.

I have a variety of stuff for moving firewood around.

322142118.jpg

322142122.jpg

322142124.jpg

291204472.jpg

what kind of wood is that in the red trailer, white around the outside ring, and a deep purple color in the heartwood...i've cut some before, but i've got no idea what it is.

Is that a Cub pulling the trailer?

Sure is. Cubs is kinda a hobby for me. Neat little tractors. Actually that load was a little much for the Cub. It did alright on flat ground but hills wouldn't be too good for it. I've got a real nice Allis CA that does better for pullin the wagons or trailers full of wood. Since I got the grapple I prefer to bring the logs home whole and process them during the summer months at my leisure.

what kind of wood is that in the red trailer, white around the outside ring, and a deep purple color in the heartwood...i've cut some before, but i've got no idea what it is.

Walnut! Heartwood turns dark whilethe sapwood is light. Very common around here.
The dump trailer was a recent load and that was a 34" maple log. I got about 4 pieces out of the but that size. Even though it came out of a yard it must have been growing when it was in a woods as it was nice and straight up like a woods tree. Owner said it was there when they came in 52 and it was big then. When I quartered it up I found a fence right in the middle. Owner said they never had a fence on that tree. Must have been there many a moon ago.

Last edited:
you guys make me jealous....i cant post pics but i haul my wood around with a 15hp john deere lt 150 gear shift and a 4x7 home built 1 ton truck axle wood trailer....I guess ive got a few years a head of me to get the nice stuff.....it is kinda hard to own a niuce trailer without a truck. i got until july 10th to fix that!!!!!!guess who's turning 16 and driving....look out on the roads:dizzy: :jawdrop: :censored: :monkey: :clap: :rock: :rock:

i got until july 10th to fix that!!!!!!guess who's turning 16 and driving....look out on the roads

Be safe and remember...Speed kills! We were all 16 once and couldn't wait to get behind the wheel. And we all probably did something we shouldn't have and got lucky. Save fast for chainsaws and keep your mind on the road. Maybe we will see you at a GTG in the future.

rookie here...wat is a gtg

im not as wild as i sound...my wildness comes out weekly when i split wood....easily the best work out out there.

i bet if it wasnt so late i might have gotten that. i feel a little special right now.

i leave tomorrow for a 10 hour drive to my gma's old house in NY. I get to cut wood on vacation!!!!lol...so much for rest. Figure ill get about 2 cords split while im there for next winter....already have this years wood.

tty all sometime next weekend. for those who are special...tty=talk to you:monkey:

Here are some pics of the trailer I built over winter, maybe you can get some ideas from it. I used 8" I-beams from an old trailer house, and 3" channel for the crossmembers. It's decked with 2x10 treated lumber. It's 21' long (18'+3' tail). Some features I added that I've been happy with are 2 1/2" pockets with a 2 1/4" -1/4" thick tie down rail on the whole outside, a 2" receiver on the front for an attachment point for winching up dead vehicles, and backup lights on the fenders. I also got some 15k lb. d-rings at TSC and welded them on the corners.

I used 2 6000lb axles (one w/brakes), and I built 2' tall sides for hauling wood. You can fit 2 full cords in it pretty easily, I was hauling 4 facecords in the pic b/c I didn't want to overwork the truck too badly.

I still need to do some work on finishing the ramps. They work well and flip over nicely, but I want to build a "wedge" on the top so when I flip them up I have a full 21' of flat deck which is why I haven't painted them yet. I also may swap out the non-brake axle for one with brakes, and also get a bigger truck.

For you tractor guys out there the tractor is a 1964 Ford 4000 that was bought new by my grandfather. I restored it for my dad last summer and was going to get a disk to run over a food plot. My wood hauling helper is standing in the foreground of one of the pics also.

Overall it pulls and works well, I would have done some things differently, but I was on a strict budget and did the best with what I had available.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

There are some truly enviable trailers here, especially the 21 footer. The only "upgrade" I would add would be a heavy triangular plate welded in front of each fender to the frame, to protect the fenders when cutting a corner. I recently did just that, catching a short brick "pillar" that was hidden by some bushes and ended up bending the axle, fender and a rim! Expensive lesson! I've noticed since that most commercially built trailers all have the protective wedge that would push it sideways instead of catching the fender.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/syp8g6qwa9k&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/syp8g6qwa9k&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

That's a good idea on the triangular guards in front of the fenders - I may have to add some. They would double as a nice step also.

Back