Let's start a good thread!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dug radishes today (first harvest). In about 2 weeks I will have them all out and will be replanting from seed.

Im hoping for turnips in a week or two.

I have a LOT of zuchini squash that is growing fast, just hoping to see it flower soon so it will start producing.

Roma tomatoes are finally growing into real plants thanks to the recent warm weather.

Snap beans got stringers put in today to aid high vine growth, they look good in my novice opinion.

The garlic Im not sure about. It came on strong out of the ground, but now looks like it isnt going to stay green leaved and keep growing. I think its way too early to harvest as well.

The difference out here between farmers and ranchers is, "farmers have manure spreaders, ranchers don't" There are also cattlemen and men with cattle.

I live in a farming community and have been called a farmer and a rancher; doesn't bother me either way. What I don't understand is these city guys moving to a five acre housing addition with a couple of horses and putting a sign on the driveway stating the place is a ranch. Now I think that is hilarious, although I do understand that after living on a postage stamp in the city they probably feel like they are living in the wide open spaces with 5 acres.

Bowtie- Don't wait until you pull them all (radishes),scatter some seed in the loose dirt as you pull them and they will keep up with you.
When did you plant the garlic,should have been late August or September.It grows all winter (sort of) and should be ready in June.If you have rocambole hard neck you can harvest the scapes now.They are the bulbs on the stalks,gourmet stuff.

When you start the zucchini harvest,you will be looking for recipes.Here's one:Split length-wise to about 2" X2" and grill them.Baste with herbed butter.Don't cook them too long,leave them a little crisp.

Last edited:
Fish, I think sometimes we spend our whole life not really knowing what we want to do. Right now I am putting in garden, studying navigation, experimenting, finishing up a Whitehall rowboat I built, occasionally doing some more firewood for three years hence. Time for meditating, contemplating, cogitating and navel gazing!
Here is some of my garden and greenhouse from a couple years ago and the boat "MissFit" first time in the water.

MissFit is beautiful.

Ma

Maybe this is wrong, but I sold insurance for 2 years and the reason i don't do it today is b/c I could not get along w/ my agency manager...The straw that broke the camel back was an agent meeting were he said the goal we should have was to buy a new caddy and not a chainsaw...I took it personally and made sure he did not make his trip to Switzerland...I still have a glocken hanging from the shifter in my Jeep to this day...

I live in a farming community and have been called a farmer and a rancher; doesn't bother me either way. What I don't understand is these city guys moving to a five acre housing addition with a couple of horses and putting a sign on the driveway stating the place is a ranch. Now I think that is hilarious, although I do understand that after living on a postage stamp in the city they probably feel like they are living in the wide open spaces with 5 acres.

Yea, I hear you. Another city type thing, to me, is calling a 1/2 ton or smaller pick-up a truck. I always figured a truck has to have at least 8 lugs. Not tomatoe lugs.... wheel lugs. You big lug! Humm, is that how you spell it?

Bowtie- Don't wait until you pull them all (radishes),scatter some seed in the loose dirt as you pull them and they will keep up with you.
When did you plant the garlic,should have been late August or September.It grows all winter (sort of) and should be ready in June.If you have rocambole hard neck you can harvest the scapes now.They are the bulbs on the stalks,gourmet stuff.

When you start the zucchini harvest,you will be looking for recipes.Here's one:Split length-wise to about 2" X2" and grill them.Baste with herbed butter.Don't cook them too long,leave them a little crisp.

Glad to hear that on the radishes. Im going to do that.

The garlic Im going to test one tomorrow to see where Im at with it.

The zuchini just needs more time, it hasnt flowered yet. Thats how I cook it. I quarter it, add Grillmates Montreal Steak seasoning, and put it on the grill. I dont let it cook more than to crisp the outsides. :cheers::cheers:

Glad to hear that on the radishes. Im going to do that.

The garlic Im going to test one tomorrow to see where Im at with it.

The zuchini just needs more time, it hasnt flowered yet. Thats how I cook it. I quarter it, add Grillmates Montreal Steak seasoning, and put it on the grill. I dont let it cook more than to crisp the outsides. :cheers::cheers:

What kind of garlic do you have,I have the hardneck I mentioned before.It's pretty hot raw and really mellow when cooked.

When FISH comes back,I tell him about my "no till" black-eyed peas.

Last edited:
I dug radishes today (first harvest). In about 2 weeks I will have them all out and will be replanting from seed.

Im hoping for turnips in a week or two.

I have a LOT of zuchini squash that is growing fast, just hoping to see it flower soon so it will start producing.

Roma tomatoes are finally growing into real plants thanks to the recent warm weather.

Snap beans got stringers put in today to aid high vine growth, they look good in my novice opinion.

The garlic Im not sure about. It came on strong out of the ground, but now looks like it isnt going to stay green leaved and keep growing. I think its way too early to harvest as well.

Jason, you won't harvest the garlic until fall.

I just harvested, blanched, and froze 10-15 lbs. of spinach, and 5 heads of broccoli. Sugar snaps are just starting to set on. Chard is going nuts too. Peppers are in, 30 plants, all hot peppers. I "can" them in olive oil with garlic and salt.

Ah man!! I saw the thread title and the poster and thought I would get to see some good titty pictures on this thread. :)

Here is a chicken house my son in law make the roof comes off to clean it, he has 6 birds.

3564858438_058331d4f6.jpg

Hate to break it to your son-in-law, but those look like Ducks............

My tomatoes are up in the big garden up the hill, I get a late start on
them as we get late frosts down here in the valley.

Ah man!! I saw the thread title and the poster and thought I would get to see some good titty pictures on this thread. :)

I have been reformed, my wife took me to the vet and had me "tutored".

Apologize to the son-in-law, I see a chicken or two now.

My herb garden is "top secret", the helicopters get thick around here, I
wonder if Obama will keep up the "war"......

Last year the fuel cost kept them away.

Those helicopters are most likely the 101st out of Fort Campbell,but you never know.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of "tutoring" versus "spading"?

Around here, anything at all outside is taken by animals. Fencing has to be tiny mesh to keep out rodents [pretty impossible], strong enough to keep out bears [completely impossible in any realistic way], covered over top to keep out birds, particularly ravens. Anything else the deer go for. So, I built a greenhouse from patio glass door replacement panels and it's going well. Greens and tomatoes and peas and etc. coming along. The chard and spinach and lettuce grow year around in there, everything else is summer work.

No losers here, Fishie. I just see a guy who appreciates all the little things. I don't even get the feeling it's alcohol induced.

Good for you.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back