Let's start a good thread!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We don't have room for a real garden,ours is in raised beds and containers.Really amazing what you can get out of a 4' X 20' area.We planted 2 of them in green beans last year,watered occasionally with a soaker hose.Had all we wanted to eat and canned 98 quarts off it.I thought we might hit 100,but came up short.Grew cucumbers(Spacesaver) in 2' X 2' boxes with a 2' X 5' trellis of concrete wire for them to climb on,ate 'em,gave 'em away,and made pickles.

My new pup already ate everything I planted last weekend...hope she does as good on ducks and pheasant as she does on peppers and cilantro, haha!

So,when do we get to see the tomatoes and stuff in the big garden.Do you have any fruit trees,berry bushes or nut trees?

Have some fruit trees, planting more each year, lost one, and a good mower last year.

Here is a pic of the lettuce I am going to grow seriously next year.

It is Butterhead/Buttercrunch, very nice...

Just for fun, here is a cat I saved as a kitten, she had a grub worm, or "wob"
in her neck. I got the worm out, she has been a tad "stupid" since........

She will only drink water from a dripping faucet.....We humor her wishes....

We've tried to grow ButterCrunch,no luck so far.I think we plant it too late,or the weather gets too warm too soon.Have you tried Sugar Snap peas,edible pods and really prolific.Vines over 4 ft. around here.
Too bad about the cat with warbles,I've seen them on squirrels,rabbits and cattle not on a cat though.
We're having another big year for broccoli,as long as I keep it sprayed with BT,no worms at all.You need some of it for your cabbage.It's a bacterial culture that only affects caterpillars,gives them terminal dysentery.

Here's a link to Wicki for those of you that have never heard of Warbles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypoderma

Hey Fish,

Good thread!

Nice looking coop

attachment.php

Good time tonight!!!! Frampton Comes Alive on the turntable.......

Do You Feel??????????

Chicken strips, salad from he ll, corn on the cob...........

My wifes family owns a feed store and they have cats for mousers. When we first got married we got a kitten from a litter. It had one of those worms in its neck also. Took it to the vet to get it out. Told the old timer neighbor he said I wasted money he would have gotten it out with no problem. That was the best cat Ive ever had. Too bad it got hit by a car.:)

i watched a bunch of youtube videos a while ago of people removing bot flies from themselves or friends. nasty!

I thought I had the last working turntables in existence.Had to put a new belt on one last year,yes they're still available.I'm more inclined to listen to older stuff,Led Zepplin,Cream,The Who,most anything with Eric Clapton, Allman Brothers.......you get the idea.

Even Neil Diamond's "Hot August Nights"will do in a pinch.

That supper looks mighty good,nothing beats homecooking.

Did someone say peas????

I picked this batch yesterday, and my wife said, "What the hell you want me to do with those???!!!!!"

I don't think we are on the same page........... $1.29 worth of seed, and we
have bags and bags in the freezer, but you have to pick them almost daily,
or they will stop producing, and the season is short....

These are snow peas here, I need to find a small oriental woman to help me I
guess, my wife would likely welcome the assistance......

Several years back I came home, a friend drove us to a local Oriental
resteraunt, I said, you drive, I;ll buy...

It was the weekend, they had a lot of seafood on their buffet, we came home
after a good Sat. fishing etc.....

We walked in, my wife was home, and my friend was with me.

I proclaimed to my wife, that I was leaving her, for I had found the perfect
woman for me, she grinned, being married to someone like me, and so on.

"I have found my soulmate"!!!

She works at the Chinese resteraunt, she is @ 20 years old, pretty, and
the only english she knows is, "you wan nuttha beah???!!!"

A match made in heaven........

Last edited:
My wifes family owns a feed store and they have cats for mousers. When we first got married we got a kitten from a litter. It had one of those worms in its neck also. Took it to the vet to get it out. Told the old timer neighbor he said I wasted money he would have gotten it out with no problem. That was the best cat Ive ever had. Too bad it got hit by a car.:)

I used my air conditioner vacuum pump, cut a pickup hose flat and held it to the worm hole, got the little bastard.........

Brings up serious ontological discussions, well at least with me.......

Why I fell out, so to speak, not the worm, but it's existence........

Sorry, digressing again.....

Yeah,Sugar Snaps are snow peas.I love to throw them in a skillet (or Wok) with some butter and stir fry them until they start to wilt and turn dark green.Then down the hatch.

good thread fish. There's a difference between a dreamer, and a Do"er". I consider myself both, though I come home everyday wishing I could be doing more. Im barely legal age and have been working fulltime at a job I hate since I graduated high school while at the same time trying to run a wood business and care-take a 500 tree orchard just to pay the bills and my 5 year girlfriend's way through college. This year when things slowed down (yes, they have picked back up), I got to live another part of my dream by doing tree work full time (kinda had no choose), and man was it hard to go back to the grind. All saidtough, I love the way things are and the way they "seem" to be headed. I just butchered the first set of 30 chickens, and am eating asparigus, greenhouse strawberries, and homegrown chicken soup. Again great thread, it make me accually feel good to talk about this stuff. Sorry for rambling. (P.S. I still envy the rich college kids)

Well, I am with you, except for the chicken thing......

I have only choked 2 of them.............

Well it was late.............

I have seen chard mentioned, I have a lot of that, as well as Romaine,
turnips, Oakleaf lettuce, and so on.....

Did you go stir fry some of those snow peas? They are even better with some carrots tossed in with them.

Back