Leveraxe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=90586

ultimate buzz

Successful road trip

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Made a second run up to Merrill, Wisconsin, and with the guidance of a really helpful dispatcher at the Lincoln County Sheriffs office named Christine, returned with a modern day equivalent of the holy grail.The quest - the Leveraxe! I ended up calling this dispatcher four different times, and I really appreciate her patience helping me to find Jason's house.I found the address, and picked up the leveraxe.It went really smooth, no chasing to a buddy's house to pick it up, no "what leveraxe?", just a slightly embarassed guy who gladly passed it on.
I'm going to try the leveraxe the weekend of the 28th,and then pass it on.Ericjeeper, I would really like to pass it on to someone responsible, preferably in person.I have not gone through the old posts on under the Leveraxe heading. Where or how, do you want me to send it/deliver it?

Awesome! It sucks that it had to come to someone driving to get it... What was his excuse for keeping it?

glad its been retrieved ,very interesting thread on this invention .Im eager to hear more reviews of its advantages and i like new ideas that are on the edge of technology for sure . i must be missing something over the coarse of all these pages but if the ax is about 300 bones ..seems i could get a running used small gas splitter off craiglist for another hundred bucks or so and press through knotted giant green oak rounds/stumps with my pinky all day long without even breaking a sweat or setting my beer down . what about the guy with a indoor wood furnace ? im not talking about making soft pine kindling into little 3 inchs splits shooting off the side ,i mean the guy who needs his splits beefy and 25 inches long made of twisted rock hard black oak ,osage and hickory for those frigid cold nights .I guess the real question is could it be worth 12 times the cost of a decent fiberglass ax/maul ?

Leveraxe is going to the WI/MN GTG

Ultimate buzz just turned the leveraxe over to me last night and I'll be taking it to the WI/MN GTG.

Al :cheers:

testing

I tried the leveraxe out Sunday afternoon on about a face cord and a half of relatively dried oak rounds. It definately works better on shorter lengths in the 14 to 16 inch range, verses the 18 to 20 inch lengths I normally split by hand. It also seems more effective on bigger diameter rounds, the way the leveraxe "bites" and throws. If you work the rounds from left to right,as in the previous instructions, it is very effective,and really sails the pieces that break off, and you absolutey have to keep the area to the left of where you are splitting clear.On a good hit, they really fly! By releasing, or for a better description ,lessening the grip on the handle as you come into contact with the round, I noticed that my fingers didn't "lock" up after a while, like they do when I'm swinging my 8 pound splitting maul for an extended time. More than a few of the rounds, for a better term, splintered into "slivers" and did not break free.One of the bad features I repeatedly noticed is that with the leveraxe, you do not have the follow through into the rounds that you do with a conventional splitting maul, in other words,you do not get the continual driving force that separates the pieces.The leveraxe "bites" or nips off pieces, some times 1/2 way down the round and then breaks them out by the lever action.You do not need a lot of physical force with the leveraxe, and I'm quite sure that in specific wood it is phenominal,but for $270 + dollars,I couldn't honestly justify buying one Thank you, Leveraxe for providing the opportunity to try out a new concept. -ken

Hey Buzz, This thread was fermenting until you stepped in, thanks for "taking care of business"!

RD

Leveraxe needs mending!

The wooden handle has a split in it about half way up. :bang:It happened at the GTG and it will need a little repair before I send it on to the next guy.
I'm not sure who is next on the list, but we'll have to figure it out in the next few days so we can send it on too the next fella or GTG!

next on list

Before Jfab became permanently attached to the leveraxe, there was a running list of people waiting to try it. It currently is on page 9 of this thread.
Now it just happens that the next person on the list after Jfab, is 24D, is from North Carolina, where they are having a get -together on the 18th of April. Would Ericjeeper be okay with you sending it down to him, or someone else that is going to be at this event?
By the way, did any of the other members attending your get-together get a chance to try out the leveraxe before handle got tweaked?-ken

That thing has a wooden handle?

Heck I thought it was some sort of composite material..
I do not care who we send it to. Providing he is a regular current poster.And he has been here long enough to prove he has enough character to make sure it gets sent on.
About the handle. I will contact the owner and see what it will take to get a replacement handle lined up and what all it takes to install it.. whoever has it now.. Does it look to be held in place with a wedge?or epoxied in?

Heck I thought it was some sort of composite material..
I do not care who we send it to. Providing he is a regular current poster.And he has been here long enough to prove he has enough character to make sure it gets sent on.
About the handle. I will contact the owner and see what it will take to get a replacement handle lined up and what all it takes to install it.. whoever has it now.. Does it look to be held in place with a wedge?or epoxied in?

I did a temporary repair. It's on its way to 24d right now. He should be bringing it to the GTG.

can you still get on this list? Be nice to get this around the NE if it hasnt been here yet?

The owner of the axe is shipping a new handle

It will be sent to Larry in NC. Hope that is ok with you Larry. LOL
The owner/designer was nice enough to warranty the handle.
Hey guys at the NC GTG, can you buck some firewood a little on the short side. To about 14 inches and give this axe a fair testing on some shorter woods.
It has been pointed out to me from the designer that we might be pushing the limits with our 20 inch long wood.
Hopefully the handle will arrive before the GTG and Larry can get it replaced.
Oh and to Stihl O matic
Nothing personal here, But I would prefer you get a little seat time here at AS before we ship you the axe. seeing how the last newbie bogarted the axe and someone had to go to his house and personally retrieve it. It is nothing personal.Just something a few of us decided was maybe a good thing to make sure the guys are good for their word.

It will be sent to Larry in NC. Hope that is ok with you Larry. LOL
The owner/designer was nice enough to warranty the handle.
Hey guys at the NC GTG, can you buck some firewood a little on the short side. To about 14 inches and give this axe a fair testing on some shorter woods.
It has been pointed out to me from the designer that we might be pushing the limits with our 20 inch long wood.
Hopefully the handle will arrive before the GTG and Larry can get it replaced.
Oh and to Stihl O matic
Nothing personal here, But I would prefer you get a little seat time here at AS before we ship you the axe. seeing how the last newbie bogarted the axe and someone had to go to his house and personally retrieve it. It is nothing personal.Just something a few of us decided was maybe a good thing to make sure the guys are good for their word.

I understand 100%.

What is the current status of the axe?
Larry did you get it fixed before the GTG? If so how was it received there amongst the guys?

WOW... and the dead hath risen. :laugh:

I haven't checked in here in a few months figuring it was still MIA,

Well done Buzz. :clap:

I'd still like to give this thing a swing.... I don't want to cut in line but if someone could figure out how to get it here by Memorial weekend I'll bring that thing full circle and take it back home to Eric's GTG for everyone to try out. :cheers:

WOW... and the dead hath risen. :laugh:

I haven't checked in here in a few months figuring it was still MIA,

Well done Buzz. :clap:

I'd still like to give this thing a swing.... I don't want to cut in line but if someone could figure out how to get it here by Memorial weekend I'll bring that thing full circle and take it back home to Eric's GTG for everyone to try out. :cheers:

I would like to remain on the list, though I will probably have to relinquish my spot as I am laid up in a military hospital with a broken leg right now. Once I get out of here I still have a month worth of school left to finish up with my new MOS. I am hoping to be back home before summer is over to get my baby's out of the shed and start making some wood chips and sawdust for the winter.

Back