Life lessons cost money...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gtu160

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Well on the short I got burned and lost 150.00 bucks today. Had my father in law show up with said friend to wire my attic today. It got done, in the worst way and I think just about every jackass thing that can be done was done. For it being family I will have a talk with him. As far as my attic, I'm now going from the end to the beginning and redoing everything and when I get stuck I sit down on the floor and start reading. I also realized that its not that bad and next time, Ill learn how to do it myself, I know a lot about wiring, but didn't feel safe doing it myself. Its a shame how there's no pride in people's work anymore.
:(

Just curious, what happened? Did the electrical inspector come and find things wrong? Did it not all work, when you tested it? :confused:

Wire just ran, no care as to were they were going, nothing to code. Wires to outlets not on right(2 fell off as I pulled them out of the box. No tape extra step. Hooked ground wire to outlet and took 2nd wire and wrapped around the first wire:confused: (should be pigtailed to outlet and taped). That's just what I found so far. 2 boxes in ceiling that will be sealed. Needs to be able to get into for code. Wires put together with copper showing and no tape. I'm not even into the rest yet, just wrong and poor work in so many ways. I was there,but I was told said friend knows what he's doing. I'll post more next Sat Sun..

Were the outlets backwired, or did they use the screw terminals?
Cheep is cheep, hacks abound....sorry you had to endure this..
Take some pics..

Alot of that doesnt sound THAT bad...like the ground being wrapped and not pigtailed. Thats not a huge deal. Neither is a little of copper showing on a wired outlet. Hopefuly the outlets are wired to the screw terminals and not the press ins on the back. Tape on an outlet is relatively new to the code. My guess is this guy did some electrical work at one point but never had any clue about code. But you shouldnt have to start over i wouldnt think. If the wires are ran just check connections.

Sorry to say but sometimes you get what you pay for. Was this hack a licensed electrician? Electricity can be extremely deadly. I'm often amazed at how some people can have such blase' attitude about it.

Tape on the devices isn't required but some electricians still use it. Tape is really unnecessary on splices. If there's copper showing, the splice was made incorrectly.

And you're 100% correct on the equipment grounding conductors being tailed off. It's require by code. That's the reason that there is only one ground screw on the device.

I use Wago wall-nuts. These things are great. They have 2, 4, 6 and 8 wire versions that I know of.

attachment.php

When we did our addition, the code required a licensed electrician be named BEFORE the permit is issued. I hired a friend who cut me a great deal while letting me run, staple, and connect most of the wire and outlets myself. He did the switches and double-checked everything. That worked out great.

Sorry about your troubles.

Last edited:
$150 is a cheap lesson ....here we go again with someone trying to do something on the cheap.
I totally get trying to save a buck. They may have also over sold their abilities in what they could do for you.

Too bad,but next time you'll know better...hind sight is 20/20.
Wiring a house is not something I'd leave to scabbers.
...somehow you get what you pay for comes to mind....

Being that you seem somewhat educated you could have spent some time to learn and have done it all yourself and then spend $150 for a true contractor to check your work.

Point taken by many of you's. I just thought I couldn't do it right then after the fact I realized if I take my time and read the guides that I can. What I'm doing is basic and don't want to get into the whole permit/redoing a room bit. I had service up to point and that was it. In the end I will have someone come in and recheck everything before I close up the walls.

The worst part is said person has rental place's and does his own work. I'd hate to be the one living in one.

Also this was not I found guy off craigslist deal. It was family and they work toghter sometimes. Knows what he's doing, spoke the best of him. I really thought I could learn something.

$150 for someone to wire an attic (to finish I assume, up to code as a living space) is beyond ridiculously cheap. So you got what you paid for. Sounds like this guy was a hack, but as others have said the tape is not required. But if the rest of his work is as bad as you say, I'd be pretty concerned of the things you didn't notice as a non-professional.

Interesting read. Most people seem to like them but as with anything, someone will not. I always used needle nose pliers to insert the wires taking care not to damage the insulation. It is a little difficult to insert the wires all the way by hand and it begins to make your fingers sore after a while. It takes a pair of pliers with a twisting motion to get the wires back out once properly inserted. The wire is scored as a result so you might as well just cut and restrip.

gtu160 - don't sell yourself short. Basic wiring is a snap but always have a pro check it out like you said. I wired my new house for 400A service from the disconnects to the last receptacle. I read and asked alot of questions along the way. Had a licensed electrician check my work. Got complements from the HVAC and plumbing contractors.

Latest posts

Back