"Lifting the Canopy"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
When work gets slow for the tree service companies in my area, they frequently go door-to-door - wanting to "lift the canopy" of your trees to let more light in for lawn grass. They prune off all the lower limbs and selectively remove live branches in the upper canopy - and declare that it adds to the overall health of the trees.

Last week, the lady across the road paid one of the premier local tree services ~$1000 to have the canopy lifted on this stand of cottonwoods and two pecans - all done in the middle of a 100+ deg. drought/heat wave:
DSCN1428.jpg

This particular tree had some top damage in a late June windstorm - so they "lifted" the whole canopy off of it. The owner was assured that all will be well...
DSCN1429.jpg

JMO, but I think this widespread practice is harmful to the overall health of a tree - even when performed in the dormant season. Beware the promises of lush lawn grass growing beneath your shade trees!

xtm

I've wondered exactly what part of trees and grass being fundamentally incompatible in terms of preferred soil microbiology is so hard for people to understand...

And to butcher a tree on account of that fruitless pursuit? Crazy.

any before pictures of the damaged tree that the top was removed on? if not then we are only getting your half of the story, maybe it was damaged to the point that it was the best thing for the tree for the top be removed.

I agree that she got ripped.

Stop being a nosy neighbor, they're not your trees.

Last edited:
any before pictures of the damaged tree that the top was removed on? if not then we are only getting your half of the story, maybe it was damaged to the point that it was the best thing for the tree for the top be removed.

I agree that she got ripped.

Stop being a nosy neighbor, they're not your trees.

:laugh:

I don't make a habit of going around and taking photos of my neighbors' trees just in case they get work done on 'em later. :laugh: JMO, but I would've had that whole tree taken down..... and I'll probably be the one who helps her out with that when the tree finally dies.

I don't know just exactly what your own personal issues are :confused:, but good neighbors are usually sort of nosy and they watch out for each other. I was out-of-town and this one managed to slip by me. I posted this in the Homeowner Helper Forum to hopefully warn others about this "canopy lifting" racket.

xtm

:laugh:

I don't make a habit of going around and taking photos of my neighbors' trees just in case they get work done on 'em later. :laugh: JMO, but I would've had that whole tree taken down..... and I'll probably be the one who helps her out with that when the tree finally dies.

I don't know just exactly what your own personal issues are :confused:, but good neighbors are usually sort of nosy and they watch out for each other. I was out-of-town and this one managed to slip by me. I posted this in the Homeowner Helper Forum to hopefully warn others about this "canopy lifting" racket.

xtm
canopy lifting/elevation is a legit service, some may take it to high or use false statements to sell it but it is a service provided by tree care people. sorry you feel it's a racket.

The damaged tree would have been removed if I was there but did you ask her why they didn't remove it?

........but did you ask her why they didn't remove it?

I didn't have to ask....that information was offered up by the homeowner in a friendly conversation, and relayed in the OP. She was assured, "All will be well."....as it stands.

xtm

I didn't have to ask....that information was offered up by the homeowner in a friendly conversation, and relayed in the OP. She was assured, "All will be well."....as it stands.

xtm
ok, so one year from now post new pics.

Latest posts

Back