Lighting strike-Tree removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bushinspector

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been called to remove a tree that had a direct lighting strike. Most of the bark has been blown off the bottom of it. The tree looks like it has been splintered from every side you can see gaps all along the trunk. Any words of wisdom from the group??? My main concern is how good is the hinge wood going to be at the notch. The Silver maple tree is about 60 feet tall and is leaning toward another tree. Sorry no pics>

Are you planning on felling it from the ground, or piecing it out from a bucket truck?

Any other targets in it's range? Powerlines?

Probably will use the bucket truck, No power lines around it, the only structure is the house behind it. If it did fall toward the house it could brush the porch. The lean is hard into another tree, and not toward the house.

Be careful that do really weird things.
Jared

Watch every cut. I had a Quercus that had been struck. I don't claim to be a lightning expert at all, but at several points of limb attachment it would pop and twist in very unusual ways...like it jumped upwards and at me. Respect it more and provide yourself more safety. Same thing when felling trunk. By way of the notch, I could see bizarre whirls in the heartwood. Sure enough, when it hinged it did a crazy jump and twist. Have a clear escape route and get away. Next time I'll tie the trunk off too so it can't get away too far from where I wanted it. It could have been ugly. Be safe.

Latest posts

Back