Lightning strike = dead tree every time?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lawnmaniac883

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Ok so this happened about 1 month ago I noticed a pine tree on a property I maintain had been struck by lightning. Direct strike, blew bark off one side of the tree and burned the grass around it. Here one month later the tree doesnt appear quite as deep green as the others around it but still doesnt show any serious signs of dying. A few burned branched and a sh!tload of sap comming down to the truck of it. Anyway, I am supposed to fell this thing tommorrow and am not sure if it is definately dead? I imagine it couldnt possibly survive a direct strike but?? Opinions? Appreciate the input.

I had a 50" dbh amer elm hit, direct strike last year. blew 6" wide and @6" deep from the top to the dirt.
tree is fine, and the wound is nearly invisable now.
so, no. a strike isn't certian death.
(Owner had NOTHING done to the elm after the strike)
-Ralph

edit? dam I can't type tonight!!!

Last edited:
The facility where it occured was at a church that actually had about the same thing happen last year except this one was larger and right next to one of the buildings. Struck by lightning then maybe 4 months later it died.

I think I am going to go ahead with the removal because I sure as hell dont want to be cutting into dead arse wood in 4 months. BTW, I am going to replace this tree with two new pines, my way of keeping the place green :cheers:

lawnmaniac883 said:
blew bark off one side of the tree and burned the grass around it.
How much of one side of the tree --50% circumference?

Pines do not take it so well as elms and oaks. they are very straightgrained so crack deeper. Best to climb it and inspect bark before judging, but if a lot of bark is off >25%--, don't lose any sleep over it.

i think some large trees can be (chemically?)altered by this. So this has Naturally selected a breed strain that can capitalize on the phenomenon; for an extreme example of lightning strikes not being certain death.

treeseer said:
How much of one side of the tree --50% circumference?

Pines do not take it so well as elms and oaks. they are very straightgrained so crack deeper. Best to climb it and inspect bark before judging, but if a lot of bark is off >25%--, don't lose any sleep over it.

Bark off is about 25% top to bottom, smaller branches are starting to brown in some spots. Tree also has a lean to it that leans right into a parking area, not a very good place for branches to fall because they are dead. Keep it commin fellas

If its a slash pine ive yet to see one survive a direct hit.Usually takes a little time to die,but i would bank 95% certain death.Gimmie a call if ne thing i can do.

Cut it down now, c'mon, you know its bad, leans at a parking lot, why keep a compromised tree that can kill?

I agree with Clearance. In your assessment of this tree vehicles or people are a considerable target and it's already showing signs of decline. And you can get paid to remove it and replant two trees, do it.:chainsaw:

Deed was done, tree was dropped at 8:00 a.m. had all the stuff packed up by 11:00. Hardly any sap towards the top of the tree, the bottom was loaded though.

Survival of a lightning strike is a function of two main elements; when in the storm the tree is hit, and the path the electricity takes. In the early lightning displays before the rainfall, the tree is dry and the path usually is deeper into the wet tissue of the tree. Rain wet trees may get a reprieve as current may pass along the wet bark. Strikes that are vertical kill a vascular column in the tree. A strike that helixes, or spirals, cuts or damages all the columns in the tree. Imagine the structure of a tree as a bundle of soda straws held together and stacked one bundle on top of another. The water is passed vertically, bundle to bundle with little diffusion to the sides.(Some species are better than others at latteral diffusion) The bulk of the transportation of fluids occurs just under the bark, in the current growth ring. Spiral injuries of lightning cut all the pathways. Electricity can be deflected away from the wood by metal structures, wires, clotheslines and such. Lightning protection systems handle the charge that way. Electrical resistence is lower in decayed wood, and a strike can internalize and ground through the interior of a tree with a substantial internal column of decay. The mechanism that kills trees is not electrocution. It is a steam explosion of the vaporized sap. Wood can be splintered internally, rendering the tree unstable and dangerous to climb without many obvious visual clues. For God's sake, you guys be careful on lightning struck trees, and always consider the potential targets if the tree fails. Trees fail two ways, a standing dead biological failure, and a mechanical failure of a tree that still has green leaves. So, a tree may survive a strike, only to decay and fall years later.

Interesting observations, thank you.

deercatcher said:
Strikes that are vertical kill a vascular column in the tree. A strike that helixes, or spirals, cuts or damages all the columns in the tree. Imagine the structure of a tree as a bundle of soda straws held together and stacked one bundle on top of another. The water is passed vertically, bundle to bundle with little diffusion to the sides.(Some species are better than others at latteral diffusion) Spiral injuries of lightning cut all the pathways.

i'm not sure, but I think that these soda-straw bundles can twist, and the lightning 'helixes" (cool verb) when it follows that twist. That may explain why trees with spriral scars can survive long-term.

there was an excellent ceu article by kim coder in Arborist News. http://www.isa-arbor.com/publications/arbnews/jun04/feature.aspx
one more example of ISA providing very practical information.

"Most lightning scars in trees follow the longitudinal axis of the xylem cells (wood grain). Xylem grain orientation develops based on mechanical loading in trees applied through bending and torque (twist). Some trees have straight grain, and some have unequal wind forces applied to their crowns (lopsidedness), causing xylem grain to spiral down the stem. Lightning scars can spiral down the stem following the longitudinal spiral pattern of the xylem elements. The initial electrical flow along the grain offers the least initial electrical resistance within a tree."

I didn't understand the whole article, but I did get that much.

LIghtening struck trees kill climbers. All of Pete's writing on the ISA forum where did it go?
They kill most climbers after all the weight has been removed oddly enuff.
Normally they fail towards the base of the tree.
60 days ago I climbed one the crack opened enuff to stick your leg thru, after i got all the top out. Lightening struck are more dangerous than dead. By far.
If a tree gets struck once they will be singled out for future strikes.
I theorize the ionic change acts like a magnet for lightening to ground.

I have a sweet gum in the yard (maybe 12" DBH and 35' tall) that gets hit once or twice a year, I would guess. It's scarred like you wouldn't believe but I think you'd need a chainsaw to kill that tree.

The 42" DBH, 50' tall pecan on the property that got hit a month or so ago (I posted up some pics in the Arborist 101 board) also looks perfectly healthy, although that one has some SERIOUS bark blown off. Time will tell.

(I'm not an expert or a professional tree guy, just throwing this into the pot FWIW.)

Jeff

lawnmaniac883 said:
The facility where it occured was at a church that actually had about the same thing happen last year except this one was larger and right next to one of the buildings. Struck by lightning then maybe 4 months later it died.

I think I am going to go ahead with the removal because I sure as hell dont want to be cutting into dead arse wood in 4 months. BTW, I am going to replace this tree with two new pines, my way of keeping the place green :cheers:

Just so happens that lightning-struck pines are very attractive to bark beetles---maybe that's what killed the other one. I wouldn't fell it until it is obviously dead---what's the rush?

Saw a big oak or basswood that got hit by lightning. Killed half, fell off, other half still lives 5-6 years later. I'm leaning towards oak, but like I said, it might be a basswood.

It the bark, for a fact, was destoyed on 50% of the diameter, the tree instantaneously entered the hazard tree category; if it's a big tree.

The only way a tree can loose half the circumference of bark and not become a hazard tree, is if it's young, and the damage is limited in length, to say, 12" of damage.

Back