Lightning struck trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tripled's

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Have heard over the years that a tree struck by lightning wouldn't burn. This has been told to me by numerous people of all ages. I have proved the theory wrong since I have burned many cords of lightning struck wood. Just wondering if anyone else has ever heard this old wise tale or knows maybe its origin???

Never heard that one, I actually giggled when I read it.

Don't have any lightning struck wood around, maybe i'll just run out with a piece in the next thunder storm to try it out! :dizzy:

I have heard that several times around here from the locals, and have even been questioned by several folks when delivering firewood.They wanted to make sure I cut the tree down with a saw instead of calling in an airstrike.:)

lol like i said an old wise tale I guess. Maybe its just some local thing. I've been told that 3 times now that I can think of while cutting a struck tree that it wouldn't burn because of it being struck. No leg pullin involved. They all wanted some of the firewood being cut until they found that out then didn't want anything to do with it. Had to find out if anyone else was hearin this anywhere else around.

I used to live down in ole MS,and never heard it but hey I didnt know evryone. Im going to hunt some lighting struck wood.

Not only will it burn, a certain amount of it hits the ground already split into kindling. :cheers:

It's amazing what people believe, but it's the human psychological trait of persistence at work. We will form a belief or opinion based on scant to no evidence, but once that belief is formed practically no evidence is sufficient to overturn it.

Jack

I have always wondered if maybe the old timers said this to keep people from cutting a tree that might "explode" so to speak. I have a neighbor with a tree about a hundred yards from my house he said I could have. Its about 20 ft tall now, and at eye level you can see through it all the way around. So basically its 20 ft tooth picks. Not interested I told him.

I have also heard that if you can see the spot where the charge hit the ground on the trunk, and you dig down a little, you can sometimes find a glob of glass. This is from the lightning fusing dirt and sand together with the high temps.
Never found one myself, but I'm still looking.

Latest posts

Back