Lightning/Tree pics needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dixie1

Dixie1

ArboristSite Operative
here are some to add to the collection. the first one is a cottonwood, fairly recently. second one, cottonwood several years ago. third one is a hackberry, several years ago.

booboo

booboo

ArboristSite Operative
TS,

I haven't forgotten about the pics of the sugar maple, I just haven't had a chance to go out to the house where it is. You'll get them eventually.

Dixie1

Dixie1

ArboristSite Operative
yes, they all are in the same park. we have two parks that almost always get struck by lightning if there is a storm. this past summer, 3 magnificant southern red oaks had to be removed due to severe lightning damage. we have a joke that if there is a storm, don't be in Tilles Park!

booboo

booboo

ArboristSite Operative
Finally...maple pics

I finally got by the place with the lightning hit sugar maple when I had a camera in the truck. This is my first attempt at attching photos on this site, so we'll see if it works.

#8 is damage just below the V crotch about 2/3 to the top. #9 is damage near the base of the tree just below the first lateral. #11 is the whole tree, damage is kind of hard to see. The trunk is is deceiving, there's another maple just behind this one that has almost nothing left except 2-3 almost dead leaders, but the way the photo is taken, the 2 trunks look like 1.

I'm curious to see how it leafs out. It was hit 10 months ago and then defoliated by caterpillars. When I originally looked at it, there was no fungus growth on the bark below the lower wound, now there is, which makes me think there is more damage than it appeared at first. We'll be taking down 2 other maples on the property, including the one behind this one, but the homeowner wants to keep this one, for obvious reasons. I'm hoping it bounces back well, we can just deadwood it and it'll be fine.

Latest posts