lightweight limb saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Gudde

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Looking to buy a lightweight limb saw. Want less than 10 pounds, 16" bar and prefer
adjustable oiler. I cut quit a lot of hedge (osage orange) which requires a lot of limbing.
I have a Husky 61 w/ 20" bar for my felling and bucking larger stuff. I have looked at
forums on this but most of them are older. I have looked at saws from Husky,Efco,Echo
and Stihl but have not made up my mind. Was wondering what models you guys and gals
might recommend on make and models. Thanks for your replys.

I have an echo cs352, very light, runs great and even better after the muffler mod. No adjustable oiler but it oils very well. It probably weighs less than 10 lbs with 16" bar, chain, gas and oil. For $230 shipped to my door, I couldn't ask for anything more.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Echo 400 has adjustable Oiler, retune and muff mod it’s a great saw for the money.

A top handle can be really nice for hedge work. Echo 355t, Stihl 200t/201t can all run a 16" with enough power. I think they're more in the 12lb range though. Echo cs 2511t can run a 16" pretty well (especially with mods) and weighs 7 1/2 lbs with the bar. No oiler adjustment, but it dumps oil.

I recommend one of these. PHO 8.6 pounds.

But I bought the first one in this vid. Actually an Echo CS-361P with 14" bar. PHO 8.4 pounds.

My old Echo CS-346 is noticeably lighter(PHO 7.5 pounds) and more compact than the new CS-361P, but the 361 feels far more solid and spins faster. Also more power.
20181225_102717.jpg
If I was looking for a saw on a budget, or if I didn't already have too many, I'd surely try a Ryobi 3714 or 3716. But I hear that you might have to mod the fuel line, as it's often too long, and possibly add some weight to the fuel filter.
Specs list it as over 10 pounds. But I'm not so sure that that isn't the shipping weight. The saws feel very lightweight to me.

Echo cs 2511t can run a 16" pretty well (especially with mods) and weighs 7 1/2 lbs with the bar. No oiler adjustment, but it dumps oil.
The 2511T has an adjustable oiler right on top.
20190202_175142.jpg
I run a 12 or 14(shown) inch bar on mine.
20190105_111638.jpg
To me, a 10" is too short and a 16" too long.

It'll blow through finger sized limbs pretty quick. And while it'll cut some pretty big stuff at a leisurely pace, it's not nearly as fast or versatile on bigger stuff as a strong 35cc.

Thanks for your replys. I am surprised more stihl or husky fans did not reply. I
think I will go to Home Depot and look at a ryobi 3716 to handle one and see for my self.

Thanks for your replys. I am surprised more stihl or husky fans did not reply. I
think I will go to Home Depot and look at a ryobi 3716 to handle one and see for my self.
I am a Husqvarna fan and if I were buying a pro saw that's what it would be. But for a light weight limbing saw, you can't beat the echo's for the price, especially if you buy it online. I have seen tons of the reconditioned ryobis for sale on eBay so that tells me they don't hold up and have been returned under warranty. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back