Lime for owb?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geez

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A friend of mine says his neighbor sets a bucket of lime in his owb in the off season to control moisture. says when heating season rolls around the lime is set up like concrete from the moisture it absorbed. Any of you try this or have any other tricks to ward off corrosion?

I run my year round so not an issue for me. My manufacturer suggests scraping down the walls to remove creosote and coating in oil to prevent corrosion.

Which brings up another question (bear with me, I am new to most of this). I installed my unit to heat water (water to water heat exchanger) and my house (water to air exchanger). If you run your unit year round to heat water, isn't the heat exchanger in the furnace plenum heating also? Or do you bypass it somehow? Seems like the AC coil right over the heat exchanger would be working overtime, to say the least.:jawdrop:

My paricular set-up feeds right through my existing boiler. I have forced hot air for heat through heat exchanger/ac units seperate from my boiler.

I do what Husky137 suggested. I gave the firebox a good scraping, vac'ed it out with the shop vac and lubed the interior with a full can of WD-40. Not a lick of rust on opening day.

Definitely put in a bypass i did mine with 2 T's and 3 valves. In the winter i close the bypass valve and let it go through the heat exchanger and in the summer i close the other two valves and open the bypass.

Latest posts

Back