Line clearing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brut4c

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I run a tree service in an area thats VERY remote and the local utilities have been hounding me to get into line clearing so I can do all the local and surrounding work they have.

The closest "certified" company is 150 miles away and they will not come down for a days work here and a days work there. They do however come each summer to fullfill their contract with the local utilities.

I've read up a bit on the various apprentice ships etc. but none of them will allow me to participate due to distance and the fact I have a business to run. I've spoken with my utilities here and the only requirement they have is that I make OSHA happy.

So I have looked over OSHA 1910-269 and find that there is no real standard. Upon further investigation I find out that each tree company has their own program for training and each is different from company to company. I spoke directly with OSHA about the matter and I was told "find a linemen to train you" I asked how much training they required to which they replied " How much do you think you need?" :msp_confused: I said 2 weeks:msp_smile:.

Now the problem is finding a "Qualified" person to train me. Nobody wants the liability. I realize that I will need to form my own company safety meetings, equipment inspections etc. but the big hurdle appears to be getting "Qualified".

This appears to be a very protected area. I called the company that currently services our area and tried to feel them out. No dice.

What are you folks thoughts and ideas? I've considered hiring someone who is "qualified" to work for me thereby giving me the required experience to get the ISA cert. or equivilent. Then again I don't really need a cert. Help

i work for trees inc in oregon we contract for pacific power and we have to go over line clearence qualification standards (LCQS books) each year to be qualified to work within 10 feet of powerlines and since we are in the I.B.E.W local union we had to go thourgh a apprenticeship program to be certified as a journeyman line clearence trimmer and all of our lift trucks have to have insulated booms and you have to learn and follow your minimum aproach distance for the diffrent kv lines dont know about your power company and state rules but im just giving you a heads up on some of the things that might be required of you once you start out on the right of way good luck with what ever you decide to do:rock:

p.s where do you live in the northwest. what power company will you be working for and what tree company usually does the contracting

Last edited:
Bomar, can you give me a source for that book?

My trucks GTG but I will need to invest in some of the various insulated tools and safety gear etc.

I'm going to find a way to do this. Our local economy is very depressed and I would like to keep this contract money local. Every little bit helps.

im making $31.64 a hour and $50.00 a day for per diem and its really hit and miss alot of it depends on our annual budget that pacific corp gives us for the year if they give us more money they hire more crews which equals more trimmers or vice versa less money they lay trimmers off

yes i do its ACRT you could probably google and find some info and ya it is nice to keep the money local if at all possible

Over here you need to be an "authorized person"

The utility company decides who is or is not an "authorized person"

The utility company needs to demonstrate they have done due diligence in checking you out.
You have a safety plan, rescue plan, trained and competent at what you are being paid to do for them.
That you know what voltage is in what lines and how far away you must stay.
That you have a safety observer that watches you do not get to close and that this guy has the authority to stop the job.

This is the jist of what they will want you to be able to demonstrate to them.

Thanks all. Bomar, I think acrt is the route I'm headed.

Right now I'm working on getting some estimated work loads from the utilities to determine if I want to make the investment now to take advantage of pick up work or wait for the new contract to come up in a couple years.

Has anyone seen any cotract prices out there? I have a good idea of what I can do it for and come out good but I don't want to leave to much on the table. We are remote and I am certain they were paying a premium to get people here.

I know this is area specific but I'm hesitant to put the location on an open forum for fear of competition in a depressed economy. I'm in the west in a dry climate.

im making $31.64 a hour and $50.00 a day for per diem and its really hit and miss alot of it depends on our annual budget that pacific corp gives us for the year if they give us more money they hire more crews which equals more trimmers or vice versa less money they lay trimmers off

wow, thats great money for line clearance guys, around here you have assplunger and lewis paying 15 year guys $17 an hour.

"Assplunger". Thats funny right there:msp_smile:

17-18hr? wow, my ground guy takes home at least that much. He's worth every penny.

Assplunger...Photoshop...Tee shirt..I will buy beer for whoever shows up with one first...

Better, vinyl plotter, and apply to an ass blunt truck..see how long before it gets noticed.

Latest posts

Back