Liquidambar Advice Needed

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

You bring up an interesting point on the watering for lawns. I too researched this, and came up with the same result. The only problem was that in practical applications, the lawn started dying with so little water! My neighbor was watering twice daily to allow the water a chance to soak in without run-off, and his lawn looks amazing. Since then, I've copied him and I've really seen an improvement. In theory it makes a lot of sense; perhaps it's just too hot in Southern California??

The trees are also doing well now that I've put them on a schedule of long slow watering every 10 days or so - no significant leaf drop that I can see so far!

I'm beginning to learn that nothing is an exact science and 'try and fail' seems to be the best way to adjust for subtle nuances of your exact climate and situation.

Thanks so much for the comment. If you have other thoughts, I'd love to hear them! :p

I would have to agree with techie. And why would a tree send roots to the surface to look for water during a drought unless there was a watersource such as greywater discharge? Sweetgums have massive root structures that are ballast for the tree they support. If you have time you may consider giving your county ag agent a visit. He will have alot of information that could help with your turf. Sounds to me like your lawncare company may not be giving you the best lawn care. JMHO

My lawn and trees are doing well now. I feel like I've finally found a good balance between both their needs. If I have further issues, perhaps I'll visit the county agent, but for now there's no need. The plants are happy, so I'm happy.

As for the lawncare company, I have to dissagree.

cnswift said:
If I have further issues, perhaps I'll visit the county agent, but for now there's no need.
Visiting them is a good idea anyway. Put your tax $$$ to work! You may find Master Gardeners volunteering there and you may want to become one. It's fun to work with and learn from like-minded people.

There are grasses that are noted for their deep root growing. I can't remember their name, however, I do remember they do not germinate quickly like rye does, once it does germinate, it packs in if watered correctly and squeezes out the weeds by going deep for the water. Most weeds like surface water. If you are dry where you are, they recommend watering after the top 2 inches are dry, then watering till you are wet 8 inches down. We are always water restricted and are trying to do things without chemical fertilizers as much as possible as our water comes from Long Islands aquifer and our street drainage goes right into our bays and water ways where people fish. So any fertilizer etc on the lawn, goes into places we dont want it to be. A lot of shell fish had a problem with this several years ago. We are slowly working towards that end, until the drought came. We wanted to put auto sprinklers into our lawn so it could water automatically, but several thousand can be used elsewhere at this time. Also the blow out for winter is another expense. We only see our green for a few months each year. I don't know if that makes me happy or sad, this summer was very bad here for everything, including people. :) If I had to water as much as you do, I would start buying rain barrels, water is so expensive here, that any relief would be welcomed. Hope your grass does well, it is a constant battle for the green....

cnswift said:
Could someone please explain the term 'girdling roots'? I'm not sure what that means and how to tell if I have this.
Girdling Roots are roots that grow in a circle around the tap root or sometimes the base of the tree. It basically chokes the tree as it gets bigger

cnswift said:
I too researched this, and came up with the same result. The only problem was that in practical applications, the lawn started dying with so little water! My neighbor was watering twice daily to allow the water a chance to soak in without run-off, and his lawn looks amazing. Since then, I've copied him and I've really seen an improvement. In theory it makes a lot of sense; perhaps it's just too hot in Southern California??

The type of soil makes a difference. If you have sandy soil, you need frequent watering, as the deep watering only succeeds in sending a lot of (expensive) water down into the water table, many dozens or hundreds of feet down. Way too deep for grass roots!

Perhaps that is what is going on with the lawn then, as it does do well with short bursts spaced out a few hours. Thanks

staking trees actually makes them weaker. They don't develop trunk taper. They need to be untied or at least tied up loosly so they can start standing on their own

Thank you for the advice on staking. I recently loosened the ties so that they can sway a bit in the wind. I do plan to remove the stake entirely soon.

Here's another question now that the seasons are changing. I've been deep watering the trees every 2 weeks. Do I continue through the fall and winter, or should I cut back while they're dormant? They are just turning their fall colors now and starting to drop the leaves - beautiful!

Thanks a bunch, Christina

I read up a bit on this and Sweet Gum
(Liquidambar styraciflua) prefers rich wet soil and thrives in areas subject to flooding.
All the suggestions above are correct but I think the lawn over the root area and the trunk flare IE planting too deep were your main problems.And the underground water system watering as well as the constant lawn water was just too much for the immature trees.The root barrier will not work for long and you would have been much better off to have planted the tree in a place where the roots would not be a problem.The idea is always conform the site to the tree .....not the tree to the site.If you are still watering with the lawn sprinklers AND deep watering every two weeks stop the deep watering when it starts raining.
If at any time during winter you get more than two weeks without rain and you are still watering the lawn,do a stick test to see how far down the soil is wet near the tree.If it is dry about 12'' down water.IF you cut your lawn water off for the winter,water the tree if no rain in two weeks during winter.I hope I did not confuse you.

no, I'm not confused. keep deep watering every two weeks unless it rains - which is rare in san diego.

thank you

Back