List of Pro Saw Models - References

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl and Husqvarna note levels of saws on their websites. That's easy enough for the newer ones. For the older ones, I would have to use other criteria such as

No "clamshell" saws made of plastic.

Built with metal crankcase containing 2 halves which support main bearings and contain a gasket in between.
Crankcase has a flat spot on top when assembled which supports the cylinder head, attached with bolts, and separated by another thin gasket.

Like that maybe?

So...will have to define better what makes a "pro saw" if the manufacturer doesn't specifically claim that designation.

Hmm

Dunno if it's on there, but the 540iXP should NOT be considered a pro saw, even though Husqy gave it the XP designation, which it does not deserve unless they have revamped it in the last year.

Thank you.
I used excel for the list...had trouble with the zero in front of the numbers.

Yes, I have to make the list perfectly correct.
I should probably actually contact the manufacturers directly for this.
More to come.
Wish I could help you with the actual list but I've got very limited knowledge on the saw side.

I can help you with Excel though.

In Excel, if you add the ' (single quote - key to the left of the Enter key) character before typing the number the 0 will show (or you can change the box type to Text from the toolbar at the top of the screen). For example '036 will display as 036 instead of 36. Without the ', Excel will think you are typing a number and drop the 0.

Wish I could help you with the actual list but I've got very limited knowledge on the saw side.

I can help you with Excel though.

In Excel, if you add the ' (single quote - key to the left of the Enter key) character before typing the number the 0 will show (or you can change the box type to Text from the toolbar at the top of the screen). For example '036 will display as 036 instead of 36. Without the ', Excel will think you are typing a number and drop the 0.
This works until you sort I think, because sorting requires numbers, not text (I think). I used a custom format for numbers of "000" as help says to do. It works.

Dunno if it's on there, but the 540iXP should NOT be considered a pro saw, even though Husqy gave it the XP designation, which it does not deserve unless they have revamped it in the last year.
I'll look at that one.

T540i XP is a battery saw. I am doing only gas saws.

T540 XP II is a gas saw on the website and currently listed.

I am an occasional lurker, can't seem to find the spreadsheet. Maybe I am blind. Where can I download the list?
I did a punt - took a step back - I took down the original posted list because it was unvetted.

The new site is in work with only 2 saws on there currently, as a beginning.
I will have a page on my personal website.
I am working with my webmaster to set up a way to upload my excel file and transform it into a much better web page.

The future page will be:

https://www.schwaniger.pro/pro_saws

I am (trying) to get with people on the inside of Husky and Stihl at the moment to get more official historical info. Not sure how helpful they are likely to be.

I will not give up.

Nate

Historically, chainsaw manufacturers fudged on what they called pro saws in their advertising literature. Sometimes using terms like 'semi-pro' etc. So just looking at advertising lit over the decades will have to be taken with a grain of salt.

Best people to ask are those that sold the saws....they knew what was on a pro saw level and what held up. For Husky and Jonsered, ask Bob(spike60).

Kevin

Why does that seem to be such a daunting concept for some? Any saw that is made to run day in and day out in a commercial environment is a 'pro' saw. All the manufacturers have a 'pro' saw lineup....saws they recommend that the professional can use everyday, all day long. Some saws by happenstance will seem to be like a pro saws because then can take the punishment, but they weren't built to be a pro saw.

Like I said above, just beware of terms like 'semi-pro' or 'saws that can run all day like a pro saw' etc. So be very cognizant of the verbiage....like you were watching a Clinton speech, yes.

Kevin

The pro designation should have been listed by the manufacturer.
Using features like mag case and bolt on cylinder wouldn't necessarily work in all circumstances. The ms 192/3t is considered a pro saw but isn't a mag case/removable cylinder.
Which is why I stated the rear handle 435 isn't a pro saw, but I don't know about the top handle version.
That's why I think the whole "pro" saw thing is a bit ambiguous. I know Stihl considers all the top handles to be "pro" saws, but I personally have trouble considering my old 192t a pro saw. The only pro think about it is that it's a top handle IMO. Otherwise the construction is very homeownerish, clamshell motor with open transfer ports.

Even more ambiguous are saws like the Echo 2511t. It performs like a pro saw, Echo calls it a pro saw, but it's still mostly a clamshell design. The difference is that the crank journals aren't part of the cylinder and it has closed quad transfers.

I tweaked the site. This lists mostly modern saws, ones still on the websites, but it's a start.

I am working with the webmaster to tone down the other links, etc. on the page to make it a neutral-ish webpage. However, I put the page where I can control it...on my site.

Has a search feature in each table.

Schwaniger.pro/pro_saws

Stihl is pretty straightforward, on the 0 series saws, last number even is pro, odd is non. MS saws like the 261, 361 etc, middle number even is pro, odd is
Stihl claims all top handles are pro saws, but two of them have odd second numbers. Only 200/201 have even second numbers

180 isn’t a pro saw

So, good rule of thumb, but there are some exceptions.

Back