Live Oak bark problem - decay at base of trunk

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskerTX

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 14 inch diameter trunk live oak that, other than the bark at the base of the tree, is healthy. A few years ago, some loose bark chipped off at the base (maybe 3 inches wide, 3 inches tall) and that "wound" is still present. Well, last fall I tapped around the trunk with my knuckle and I could detect that about half of the trunk, from the ground to about 6 inches high, had bark that was detached from the wood - dead in other words.

I left it alone over the winter hoping that the dead bark would at least protect the tree from the cold. The tree has leafed out beautifully and today I removed all of the decaying/rotting bark - all the way to healthy bark - so that new bark could begin to grow over the large wounded area.

Again, fully half of the trunk is void of bark - an area approx 6 inches high, starting at the ground.

Is there anything further that I need to do to the tree to help it, or should it be ok from this point on? I called out an arborist last fall, and quickly lost confidence in him when he started talking tree removal and replacement. This is a big, beautiful, and otherwise vigorous live oak.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

This is a big, beautiful, and otherwise vigorous live oak.....Says it all!
Sound like the tree has compartmentilized..built a wall around the rot pocket.If the pocket is deep,it's not likely to form a callus.''Generally''We do not fill cavities.as that may cause other problems.But!We have filled quite a few with professional grade materials at the owners request...Aesthetics being the reason.

Latest posts

Back