Live Oak Tree fungus

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbeard

Reaction score
I have a live oak that is 25 foot tall & 6" around the trunk

It developed some knots along some branches & my sister told me to use a product called Kocide make by grffin & that what is had was a fungus. I cut out the knots & sprayed with Kocide.

the I only found one knot since treating

Now I noticed some little white/tan fuzzies on the leafs. I pull one down opened it up & determined that it was not a bug...no guts?
I almosts look like its made of the same stuff a cigrarette filter is..Is this another type fungus? My neighbor also has these fuzzied on his tree

Those are galls, as were the bumps on the branches. They are usually caused by the egg-laying activities of certain wasps. No control measures are necessary. Natural predators keep the gall-makers in check, and the galls themselves do not harm the tree. Spraying is actually counter-productive since it kills the predators.

Treeman is absolutely correct.

The gall is actually a compartment that the tree forms to wall off a pest. Cutting off the gaul can actually open the tree to insect/disease problems.

Jim

Having a large number of galls on a tree can indicate that there is another primary stress that is keeping the tree from controlling the pest.

Find an arborist with a Plant Health Care (PHC) program that regularly deals with oak trees.

Latest posts

Back