Loaded the stove at 4am this morning.....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaseyForrest

I am NOT a tree freak.
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
And as of 6pm this evening, this is what I have to work with.....

cf59fb8a9f2c7da4346f3fa37b3ee355.jpg

Throw a couple splits in and crack the ash pan door and voila....

271a7e47671eabe026c429152d1d54db.jpg

Stove thermometer was reading 175 when I got home. Not bad for 14 hours.

Sent from a field

Its nice to have a stove that will last that long.if i gonna be gone that long i usually fill as much as i can and open the flew about a quarter and got enough coals to start up again.

What stove do you have.

Sent from my SM-J320W8 using Tapatalk

Hearthstone Heritage 8022. I'm still kicking myself that I didn't get the next size up, the Mansfield. Bigger firebox would have suited our house better.

Sadly I have about another years worth of 15" wood to burn which doesn't utilize the 21" firebox. Once the 15" wood is gone, I can load the firebox better since I wont have to worry about splits rolling into the door. I should conceivably get at least an additional hour of burn time, if not 2 once I get to my 20" splits or in a couple years get into my shorts bin....

Right now I'm burning pin oak and locust with a little bit of cherry. On the weekends when the stove can be tended to more often its red and silver maple.

Once the secondaries start firing and the stove starts "talking" to me, the primary air gets shut down completely and all combustion that takes place is from the secondaries. Usually keeps the stove between 500 and 550 degrees.

You load you stove side to side?
My old stove i had to load side to side. My new one will take 16" front to back. I like loading this way better. My next stove will be even deeper. I should have gotten next modle up too.

I get about the same burn time or longer with my Pacific Energy Spectrum. Wood species and log placement are the keys.

Long burns are good but did it keep the house warm? By warm I mean 70 degrees +/- 2 degrees? I'm interested because my wood/coal furnace will do that for 14 hours on a 30 degree day with coal and 8-10 hours with wood and am contemplating a stove.

You load you stove side to side?
My old stove i had to load side to side. My new one will take 16" front to back. I like loading this way better. My next stove will be even deeper. I should have gotten next modle up too.

Yes, the picture above is looking through the side door. It also has a front door but I don't use it to load the stove. Thats why I cant get through this 15" wood fast enough. The 20" pieces will rest against the stove frame and I can stack it in without having to worry about it rolling into the glass. Right now I can only fill the firebox about 70%.

Long burns are good but did it keep the house warm? By warm I mean 70 degrees +/- 2 degrees? I'm interested because my wood/coal furnace will do that for 14 hours on a 30 degree day with coal and 8-10 hours with wood and am contemplating a stove.

No, and heres why. Our house is 2600 sqft. The stove isn't physically large enough or in the most efficient position to keep the hole house warm on a single load. On a 30 degree day, if I keep the stove right around 500 degrees, the house will stay around 74 degrees. But its got to stay 500 degrees all day. When it gets down to around 20 degrees and or the wind starts blowing, the Jotul Rockland 550 gets fired up to keep the other side of the house warm. The Heritage can maintain, but I have to push it hard and I dont like doing that.

My wife and kids are in New Mexico right now and she is the one that tends to the stove throughout the day. So I get the stove set prior to leaving the house at 5am and bump the furnace up from 60 to 67 to maintain. When I get home, I set the furnace back to its normal schedule and get the stove going and by the time I got to bed the house is back up to 70. Obviously its dependent on outside temps and wind.

I usually get 14-16hrs. I just loaded it, its midnight thirty. Last load was 8am.

68* in the house right now. Was hot today though. -5* this morning, warmed up to 15*. -2* now.

Do load 3x a day when it's well below zero, otherwise 2 a day is plenty. If it's in the 30s a fire everyother night is enough.

I originally looked at the side door as a benefit. And I'll realize it more when I get through all this wood cut for the previous stove.

When I get into my shorts bin in a couple years I'll be using the front door.

Sent from a field

Latest posts

Back