Loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preach it

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I needed to either hire someone or buy bigger equipment. I am getting older and the trees are getting bigger and heavier. I do tree trimming and removal. (I also remove stumps) Hiring someone would be a nightmare, limited hours, workers comp., social sec., taxes, training, etc. I decided to buy a loader ( from Baileys). I mounted it on a car trailer. The trailer will carry about 3-4 ton, I got the trailer at an auction for a good price. The loader on the trailer requires no extra licensing and is low maintenance. It is run by an eleven hp motor and will pick up 2000 lbs. I have used it for several weeks now a find that it doesn't care what time day or night that I use it. I find that the jobs go a lot faster, and that it will pay for itself quickly. My back thanks me for it. (A chipper is nice, but it won't take a 40 in. tree trunk and you still have to haul it away.)

nice peice of equipmant..how much did it cost..and was it hard to mount on your trailer.. ..did you need to reinforce the trailer..also does it need outriggers???

It has outriggers.

Add sides to the trailer (maybe if the trailer was a lil longer) and sell the chipper.

I too would like know the price of the loader.

I got an 18' 7' wide (inside the side rails) trailer, and is rated to 10k, but carries up to 15k without complaint. That would be a sweet addition that I might could justify better than a chipper as I burn the brush at my house, and then I could haul my own logs and make some gas money.

Oh.... You might want to build some type of shield to protect the motor.

What about pipe sides like on log trucks? You could make them removable like a stake and pocked. Trailer capacity is the limiting factor here, IMO.

Looks nice!!

Great rig Preach.

I got their video last year for the options. I would think the prime set-up would be on the tongue of a four-foot sided dump trailer.

It does make things go fast. I don't have the problem of landfill for brush and logs - bring everything home, lot's of room in the canyons.

In the picture I wasn't quite done with the trailer but my ins. co. was desperatly wanting a picture. Now it has posts on the sides and 24 in. grating to protect the engine and hydraulics. It comes in one crate about twelve feet long. A lot of it is already put together. I had to mount the grapple, the engine, the controls, and some of the hydraulic hoses. It has about 20 greasing points. It also has hydraulic stabilizer legs that extend out. I had a good local welder mount it onto the trailer. He placed it on so that when eventually the trailer gives out I can unhook it and place it on another trailer. I did alot of the noncrucial welding myself. The one I bought is the middle size of the ones that are available, 16 ft. reach. One of the great things about it is that I can drive up beside a fence and reach over it to pick up the tree. Less work for me. Here is a link to the website with the prices. It is not too costly when you figure the cost of hiring someone. http://www.baileys-online.com/jms/jms-loaders.htm

I find that it does tend to be tongue heavy. I haul it with a 1 ton, it doesn't have any trouble pulling it. But still I find that it saves me a lot of time and back breaking work. I bought it with the biggest motor they had for it (11 hp Honda). I am glad that I got the bigger motor as it moves as quick as I want it to, if I am not careful too quick.

how about an update??

So how goes it with the grapple?

I'm looking at getting a log trailer with that set up and was wondering if you were still happy with your purchase.

Anybody out there take the plunge and running something similar?

The loader and trailer are doing great. I find myself often hauling huge loads and I haven't even worked up a sweat. I did put on 4ft. sides and rear on the trailer as it saves time loading. (no limbs hanging over.) I will try to get some more pictures soon. A big plus for me is that usually by this time of the year I am getting really sore from the hard labor, this year I find that I feel as good as I did in the spring. The loader will pick up huge pieces and not even whimper. I should have gotten one a long time ago.

There aren't any mills here. There might be three small homeowned ones in the whole state. There may be one owned by a city to cut up downed/dead/disease trees. That is all. It is unheard of to use a tree for lumber. I do a few with a chainsaw mill. I just haul whole trees to the dump, lots of brush.

oh. I just assume when I see logs on a hauler they were headed for a mill. Did not realize they may just be hauling to a dump.

I'll be getting mine next week, so they say. I'll take some pics and post them. Of course I'll have to learn how to post pics here. Maybe I'll even put up an avatar. Might have to enlist the help of the wife. I usually let her figure out how to do the tedious computer stuff.:D

Preach it, could you give us a update down here with some pics and such. Perhaps things that you thought where necessary but turned out they werent, and other things that you didnt think of that you woulda done differently.

Thanks
Carl

Newfie said:
I'll be getting mine next week, so they say. I'll take some pics and post them. Of course I'll have to learn how to post pics here. Maybe I'll even put up an avatar. Might have to enlist the help of the wife. I usually let her figure out how to do the tedious computer stuff.:D

DITTO :)

Latest posts

Back