Loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pictures of it right now would show it pretty much buried in snow. It was -30F last week now above zero and we got more snow. Some things I did find were that for my business, I needed sides and a rear to enclose the trailer as I haul a lot of brush. I also found that the hydraulic hoses needed better protection as they were getting chopped up from the brush. I went to the local surplus store and bought some heavy flexible hosing, 4" and some 1" and put them over the hoses. That made a big difference in the hose protection. I also found that I needed to grease all 20 plus grease fittings every 8-10 hours on the machine. The loader worked like a hero. I hooked up a spot light to the tail lights and place it over the loader because I often run it after dark. (Summer is short here and I work long hours in the summer.) Sure is nice because hired help wouldn't like working late into the night and the loader doesn't care. I am glad I bought it. I can get pictures probably in Apr-May when work picks up again.

Loaders

I had this similar quandry. My solution was a "MAJACO" Log loader trailer. Made in Quebec by Anderson Mfg.
There are several different types of log loaders available. Mr. Jean-Noel Beaudry of Sudbury was our Majaco dealer representative and he was very helpful. The Majaco Log Loader, was able to meet many of our needs. We decided on the Model 115. This meant that at 11 feet we would be able to lift approximately 1000 lbs. It had a tight wheelbase and its length enabled maneuverability in close quarters. This unit was ideal for our tree maintenance work at golf courses. We were able to lift the logs without damage to the turf and then transport the logs along the narrow cartways to a staging area. This would not be practical with a large log truck.
It could come with a mounted winch, which would be a benefit if we didn’t have a truck-mounted winch. The winch assembly does reduce the useable length of the trailer.
Anderson Manufacturing was able to outfit the log loader trailer to make it suitable for on-road use. There are many considerations however to make it meet the Ministry of Transportation rules and regulations, and these must be adhered to. The unit is powered by a 13 hp HONDA, and the hydraulics are sufficient for the application. The strength of the booms and points of articulation have not shown signs of weakness. The hydraulic rotator that swings the boom can be doubled, and that would be a good option. If the log is too heavy, it just doesn’t lift. Period. Solution: Cut the log to reduce its weight. The controls of the unit are easy to master. The technique for picking logs and placement takes practice and time. Eventually, one can determine if the log is oversized, where the balance point is, how the log can be rotated to fit best in the bunks, and how much of a load can be carried. This is critical. Weight in species varies considerably, and placement on the trailer is important. You must know the tongue weight, trailer weight and the weight being transported. An oversized load is dangerous.

The Majaco Log Loader gets many accolades from my employees, as their backs feel so good by just using the machine. It has saved valuable time. It makes the work site safe. The job is complete when the logs have been moved; the site is raked and swept. The cost, quality of construction, and its intended purpose has been a benefit to the company.

preach it said:
I also found that the hydraulic hoses needed better protection as they were getting chopped up from the brush.

I found the same problem w/ the hoses rubbing on wear points and being inadequately shielded.(actually netree discovered it) I need to get a work light put on mine just so I can squeeze in that last unload when it's dark. I bet Erik's bored about now.

I've been loading mine up w/ logs for my woodmizer and loading them on the mill w/ the grapple. Much faster and easier.

Back