loader

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SCTREEGUY

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
What is everyone's opinion on grapple loaders? I currently have a Kramer allrad 320 but it is extremely tired. Front end wore completely out,multiple leaks and little to no breaks. Its a 4 wheel steer wheel loader so it does really well but it is between 11 to 12k lbs. I've always wanted an a300 and was the high bidder one on eBay last night but reserve not met.my current machine's load rating is 5200lbs while the a300 is only 3k.I know someone else that has 3 Kubota 520s but never seen them run.what do you guys run?

We used it in 2 different yards this week in the rain carrying logs with little to none ground impact. Its pretty impressive nearly as strong as my Kramer but considerably smaller and not near the turf damage. The cat 242 that I rented for nearly a month while waiting for this 1 couldn't touch either machine as far as strength,visabilty and most important yard damage.
The only complaint on the willmar is it doesn't rotate the grapple forward as much as I'd like. We are gonna cut the top loader arm and add about 2 inches to it.

The A300 is rated for 6100lbs. You need to look at tip weight, that is the "true" rating. The 3000lb rating is the "can drive on anything and like an idiot" rating.

The little FELs are nice but wow are they spendy. I looked at getting one last year and used they were still in the 40-50k area. That was for a 5-7 year old machine in the 2000-3000hr area.
I paid about 1/2 that for my skid steer.

I ran a buddies a300 a few times and don't feel that it can carry the load that these fel can. Plus wasn't pleased with the visability mainly to the rear. The machine I just bought has 1086 hrs and everything works except the horn.

The a300 will pick up more I think. It weighs around 10k though, is very wide, and puts a lot of ground pressure down compared to the articulated loaders. Mostly cause it weighs more and has smaller tires.

We used it in 2 different yards this week in the rain carrying logs with little to none ground impact. Its pretty impressive nearly as strong as my Kramer but considerably smaller and not near the turf damage. The cat 242 that I rented for nearly a month while waiting for this 1 couldn't touch either machine as far as strength,visabilty and most important yard damage.
The only complaint on the willmar is it doesn't rotate the grapple forward as much as I'd like. We are gonna cut the top loader arm and add about 2 inches to it.
I've heard people say before how litter turf damage these kind of unit cause, but I can't wrap my head around one thing. How can the tire lugs not sink in a cause a washboard effect in the soil?

Turf tires I'd understand completely.

I've considered turf tires but I think a slight hill and wet grass would cause it to spin and do more damage than having decent traction. My Kramer has foam filled tires that don't flex at all and does make an in print but the new machine doesn't have foam filled tires. Maybe that lets them flex enough that they don't leave as much of an impression.

Back