loading chipper with skid steer?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

priest

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I've got an ASV skid steer with a grapple bucket and am wondering about loading a large capacity chipper with it directly. (Koa, you mentioned this in a past thread).
If you grapple a load of brush and take it to the chipper, then obviously your brush is pointed the wrong direction to "poke" it into the chute. So how do you feed it most efficiently?

Thanks

Nate

I have a beaver squeezer grapple attachment for my Cat skid steer loader and I use it for loading into chippers and log trucks. I highly recommend this attachment. It rotates 360 degree. Cuts all the grunt work and your employees will love you.

I know the grapple you're talking about. I could imagine with 360 degree rotation, it would work quite well to feed a chipper. make any job go 10x faster than normal.

I think a grapple bucket would be difficult to feed a chipper. You need the type that looks like 2 C facing each other (Beaver Squeezer type). My Top Notch Equipment grapple works great for feeding by 18X chipper.

I didn't have too much luck feeding a 18" chipper with a bobcat grapple. We decided to go with a BC2000 with loader and it is a beast for chipping big, heavy stuff. If you have bushy or bulky limbs and try feeding it with a loader, you can end up reversing the bar and feedwheels and that can be frustrating if you are in the cab. Can be dangerous, too, as you aren't down there to stop the machine if something gets in there you don't want. Just a thought.

To machine load with my mini loader, I need a min. of 3 guys. I operate the loader and 2 guys with the chipper. One lifts the feedwheel and stops the feed. The other guy helps to get the branches under the roller, then the roller is lowered on the branch, I release the grapples and back up. Chipping begins.

Yesterday we dragged brush and chipped with my Gehl. My son in law, who just started working with me a month ago, experienced machine brush hauling and chipping for the first time. He said he couldn't believe how much easier it was.

Latest posts

Back