Loading logs on the splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cowboy Billy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Oh it was five years ago that I used to Roll or lift logs like this onto the logsplitter by hand! Two years ago I would have ripped them down with the chainsaw. This is the first time I have used tongs to lift the logs. It sure does make it nice! :cheers: It would have been better if I had my nephew Chase over to run the tractor for me so I did not have to keep jumping on and off of the tractor. I thought I might have to beat the tongs into the hard maple. But no all I had to do was drop tongs over the ends of the log and lift. Gotta love it when a plan comes together.

My brother Tommy called me monday. A 28+ inch dia maple fell over at his work. Four people were fighting on who would get it. Tommy's boss said first come first served. I got there a 12:45. The power was flickering there and they sent most of the workers there home. So Tommy and I cut it up and loaded it on the trailer. The power had came back on and Tommy went back to work. He called me on the way home. Said we did such a good job we could come back and cut down the other stem of the tree which is hanging over the parking lot and is 32+ inches around. Who else but Tommy would cut up a tree for his personal use and get payed by his work to do it? We are going back this weekend to cut down the other stem. Bailey's has there Christmas sale going on and I just bought chainsaw pants and helmet earmuff and face screen and tried it out there sure was nice to have all the safety equ I should have been using for years.

My Grandpa and younger brother Timmy built this logsplitter 20+ years ago :clap: And Grandpa's log splitter is still Going Great!!!!!!!!!

My old 1958 Farmall 130 works well with the 2000 Kubota B21

IMG_0969.JPG

The Tongs work great no trying to roll the log around trying to get a chain around it and then trying to get it off once it is on the splitter.

IMG_0975.JPG

Those little logs make the splitter seem small. The wood pile is about 6' tall for reference.

IMG_0970.JPG

Billy

Cool, it's nice when it works out right. BTW, how do you like the B series Kubota? I have L series, but was considering the B's when I buy buy another one.

Thanks Kd57

We bought this one used from Hertz rental four years ago. Its got a lot of blow by and rolls black smoke out of it when running it hard. And right now its getting ready to into the garage as left axle is loose whether it is the bearings or something else I don't know. It also took out the axle seal and loose hyd fluid bad. But I am sure it was run very hard before we got it.

But for a 21hp tractor is does good the FEL only lifts 930 lbs. But the backhoe does have a lot of power. I am sure if it did not have a backhoe it would need a weight box to use the loader.

It is nice it the woods being as small as it is I can go around trees and get into tight spots. I am not a big fan of a hydrostatic trans. When its 32*f or lower out you have to let it run 15-20 minuets to warm up the trans fluid or it whines bad. You also have to keep the rpm's up or its hard on the trans so its louder and uses more fuel than necessary. I was told it uses 10% more fuel doing the same job than a shuttle shift will. Although this one is so small it only burns about four gallons in eight hrs running wide open digging ditches with the back hoe.

The next tractor I want is a L4200 with a shuttle shift and grapple bucket. Its small enough to get around in the woods but still has plenty of power for what I need.

20' spruce I cut a 8x8 out of.

IMG_0548.JPG

12' spruce. This is the second section up the trunk. The first 12' log I couldn't lift and had to drag out on the backhoe.

IMG_0540.JPG

Billy

I was never a fan of hydro's either, was thinking maybe they have improved them by now. Waiting 20 minutes to move would kill me in the winter. I may just stick to the L's.

That one is nine or ten years old. But I don't think they have changed much. The manual on that one says for cold weather starting to start it a 3/4 throttle and let run for 15 minutes. I would guess you could stop by a dealer and ask to look at the manual and it says the same you would know for sure.

Billy

I don't think they have changed them either, but I will check. Thanks

Hi John

The top three pictures with the log splitter were taken yesterday. That last snow storm I had about three inches of snow on the ground then it changed to rain and the snow was gone by morning. At least it finally got cold enough to freeze the ground I was getting tired of mud.

I live about 10 miles west of the Cabelas store.

Billy

Latest posts

Back