Local wood find as well as some chainsawing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duke Thieroff

Fill your hands, you SOB!
Reaction score
Sorry my pics aren't, spent a good part of the afternoon on the other hill from my house harvesting slab wood from a sawmill the Amish set up.

The property owner sold all the logs off the property and has given me free reign to take what I need to for a small fee.

There's a ton of thick slabs as well as access to all cull logs, and tops.

Grabbed a nice standing dead locust they pushed over with the excavator as well.

Got to run a couple more tanks through the Stumpy 440 and I have to say it runs great. I also really like the Granberg File-N-Joint I picked up from a local dealer, really a sweet rig.

f4b2209a.jpg

d75d1956.jpg

7221b742.jpg

0658cf85.jpg

Everything pictured is hardly the tip of the iceberg. If I had to guess I would say there is 2 acres of slabs 8 feet deep as well as enough cull logs to keep me burning for the next 5 years. Mostly cherry, white and red oak, sassafras with some ash, maple and locust mixed in.

561e1f37.jpg

76c9be1e.jpg

That's what I was using, you may say "Hey, Duke, that's an awful lot of saw for slab wood."

And I may reply "It is, but my Mini-Mac is in the shop."

Can't believe I found this place 5 minutes away from my house!

Chris

Build a square sawbuck stack a bunch of slab wood that 440 will eat it and you won't feel like you have too much saw it'll be just right.

Looks like alot of good wood in there. I would rather bring a big saw for a little job then bring a small saw for a big job. Nice looking 440.

Looks like alot of good wood in there. I would rather bring a big saw for a little job then bring a small saw for a big job. Nice looking 440.

It surely will get it done, was cutting up some bigger stuff with it today, I have the rakers set awful low on the chain and it just goes right along fine.

Chris

It surely will get it done, was cutting up some bigger stuff with it today, I have the rakers set awful low on the chain and it just goes right along fine.

Chris

NICE!!! Big ol pile of hardwood and a good running 70cc stihl. Life don't get too much better than that!!!:rock: (until it's time to load it)

sorry my pics aren't, spent a good part of the afternoon on the other hill from my house harvesting slab wood from a sawmill the amish set up.

The property owner sold all the logs off the property and has given me free reign to take what i need to for a small fee.

There's a ton of thick slabs as well as access to all cull logs, and tops.

Grabbed a nice standing dead locust they pushed over with the excavator as well.

Got to run a couple more tanks through the stumpy 440 and i have to say it runs great. I also really like the granberg file-n-joint i picked up from a local dealer, really a sweet rig.

f4b2209a.jpg

d75d1956.jpg

7221b742.jpg

0658cf85.jpg

everything pictured is hardly the tip of the iceberg. If i had to guess i would say there is 2 acres of slabs 8 feet deep as well as enough cull logs to keep me burning for the next 5 years. Mostly cherry, white and red oak, sassafras with some ash, maple and locust mixed in.

561e1f37.jpg

76c9be1e.jpg

that's what i was using, you may say "hey, duke, that's an awful lot of saw for slab wood."

and i may reply "it is, but my mini-mac is in the shop."

can't believe i found this place 5 minutes away from my house!

Chris
duke,you did good.i would b happy as a gopher in soft dirt with that find.better get it while the gettin is good.(arab oil or american wood)

Hey Buddy
Looks like you hit the Holy Grail of firewood.And 5 minutes from the homestead ta' boot.

Merry Christmas !!!

Latest posts

Back