Locating Arborist/Training Facility?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Before your state's forest service says it's hunky-dory to spike their trees, they should review the up-and-coming pests that can cause them serious losses.

AviD said:
Well I went to the arborist supply store, they had a fair supply, but pretty small shop.

I did get a chance to look at the Klein spurs, as well as work with the Petzl microcender on some 1/2" rope...nice little device (considering what I've been using). I might grab two of those, along with two fliplines for my climbing purposes for a dual lanyard, allowing me to navigate branches.

I looked at the steel core flip lines, they are pretty heavy (ala the core)...not sure how necessary they will be for what I'm doing (no chainsaw work, so no really risk of cutting through the rope outside of using a handsaw).

I also picked up a copy of The Tree Climbers' Companion while I was there, looks quite nice...I'll be reading it over the next few days. :clap:

I asked the shop owner about a training course and he said most guys just join a crew and learn from the experience guys. He also said most guys are not really "graduated arborists", so I'd imagine they are what many here call "hacks". We talked about hunting a bit and he said many of the local guys he knows use gaffs, especially for drives, just to get up 8-10 feet and over the brush. He acknowledged from a purist, arborist perspective, rope only is the only way it should be done unless you are removing, then gaffs are an OK option. Nice guy, was good chatting with him.

Interestingly, as I was in the store a customer was there talking about a tree that fell (couldnt tell if it was cut or fell naturally) and landed on his neighbors fence. He said something about his policy saying he wasn't responsible but his neighbors saying he was...so he wanted to split it 50/50 for the damages or something. I wasn't listening too closely, just hoped he didnt decide to cut a tree and it splashed down on his neighbors fence. :chainsaw:

I also spoke to a friend of mine, who is an ex lineman for a power company. We were talking about gaffs primarily and it was an informative discussion. We briefly discussed something that interested me, which was how climbers manage to gaff themselves either on the top of the foot or through the achilles tendon.

Question for the gaff crowd, how exactly does one manage to gaff themselves? I would think your feet would be on opposite sides of the tree (nearly) most of the time...at what point do your feet come that close in contact that you might actually step down and gaff yourself?

Anyway, that's the latest update.

Fireaxman:

Thanks for the feedback as well. I don't hunt from permanent stands, just portables, which strap onto the tree. No nailing going on. Most of the lands I hunt are public WMA, and I've called the Law Enforcement division on the use of gaffs and they said they do not see a problem with it. Nothing in the game code forbids the use of them either, and again I know many hunters do use them.

Rope climbing is definitely interesting to me, but as you said...it does seem complicated to a beginner. I can see setting up throw lines at my locations, and then packing a climbing rope in for a climb with ascenders/stirrups and swapping it with the throw line...but its positioning them that I can see be problematic for several of the trees I hunt. Plus I wouldn't have a universal secure point height for the climbing rope, so I'd have to imagine the worst case possible and get an appropriate length of rope.

Really alot to it, and I have a ton to learn on it. Unfortunately working a full time job, I can't get on a work crew and learn the ropes, so my only other option is formal training or self teaching. Anyway, thanks again for the feedback!
what store??

AviD said:
jmack, why what? Why do I want to learn to climb or why do I want an experienced person to show me?

Stated earlier, the reason is for hunting purposes. Minor trimming with a hand or pole saw when need be, but generally just for climbing trees to attach portable platforms (strap or chain wraps around the tree and secures to a platform, all are TMA certified for safety). No chainsawing at all, and the climbing will be roughly 1-2 times per week between July-March, and maybe 5-7 days per week through some of November and December.
your end goal was what i wanted, you stated it and looks like you got help on yur ?? good luck to ya

Back